It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:02 am 

Up through Windows 8 I've been able to find software to tweak Windows into using the standard "Tree" control for File Explorer windows in the Files pane (right side) when using Details view. One program that XPClient found (thanks) to do it was "Folder Options X".
Along with the option provided by Classic Shell for squeezing out some of the vertical spacing in the Navigation pane (left side), it was possible to set up to have an Explorer Window in Windows 8.0 that not only showed more information in the same space (and to have the same vertical density in both the Navigation and Files panes), but also which interacted a bit more agreeably and used a darker font for the Date, etc. None of these things are night and day differences, but they ALL made File Explorer just a little bit easier to work with.

Example from Windows 8.0:

But now with the Windows 8.1 Enterprise Preview (I don't have the RTM set up to test with yet), I've noticed File Explorer can no longer be set as before to use the Tree control in the Files pane. So the entries are spread further apart and a lighter font shows up

Note specifically the items in the Files pane in Windows 8.1:

My question is this: Is there a way ClassicShell could restore the use of the standard tree control, or at least adjust the spacing of the items in the Files pane to facilitate their being squeezed together vertically?

Thanks.

-Noel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:27 am 
Site Admin

Maybe you mean "list" control? If FolderOptionsX doesn't work on Windows 8.1, maybe it will be fixed in the future. Or it may not be possible if the code to use a list control has been removed from Explorer.

Either way, at the moment there is no plan to develop such feature in Classic Shell.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:51 am 

Folder Options X works to enable the List View control in Windows 8.1 Enterprise RTM. You may need to clear the previous "saved" state of views for certain folders. Try merging this and then see if Folder Options X works. If after merging this, it still doesn't work, then try merging the attached REG file. (It goes without saying that we bear no responsibility for anything that happens to your system, this support is only for your convenience) :)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"FullRowSelect"=-

Attachments:
disableautoarrange.zip [1.01 KiB]
Downloaded 814 times

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:54 am 

Thanks for your quick responses, guys. You're right, Ivo - "List Control". Sorry. I was also thinking Microsoft may have removed that code, but Gaurav has just renewed my hope!

No plan? Darn. Since you have programmed ClassicShell to be able to reduce the vertical spacing in the Navigation pane, I thought perhaps there might be hope that you'd at least consider trying to do the same for the Details view in the Files pane. That one thing - the insanely airy vertical spacing Microsoft has implemented - makes Explorer less useful. I'm sure Gaurav would agree.

I guess it boils down to how "classic" you want your product to make a system... Never forget the utility of XP.

Now off with great hope to test Gaurav's suggestions... I'll report back...

-Noel

Last edited by NoelC on Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:57 am 

GauravK wrote:
. (It goes without saying that we bear no responsibility for anything that happens to your system, this support is only for your convenience) :)

Thank you. Rest assured I test with VMs that can be instantly restored via snapshots, or simply thrown away. I don't even use any flavor of Windows 8 for production at all (there's no good reason), just for testing.

-Noel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:09 am 

Hm, Windows 8.1 Enterprise Preview (I don't have RTM yet) doesn't seem to want to enable List view no matter what.

Must be a preview-only thing. I'm glad to hear the functionality is restored in Windows 8.1 RTM.

I still urge Ivo to consider trying to adjust the vertical spacing even without the List control tweak. It may be that some people want to be able to select full rows and like the gray text, but they'd just like more entries on the screen.

-Noel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:33 am 
Site Admin

The list control is the one that allows changing the vertical spacing. Without it that's not possible.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:04 pm 

Just to follow up, I have Windows 8.1 Pro now, and I'm able to switch on the list control in the Files pane through the use of Folder Options X.

Not as information-dense as XP, but getting there.

Now what would be simply awesome is if ClassicShell could configure this to happen, then facilitate the rows being a little closer together still... :)

-Noel