It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:43 am 

Windows Blue will be out soon. . but Mr Classic Shell (ivo) is on a trip around the world. His cell phone is buried in his backyard. What evarrr. . . I am elsewhere and up for a ride - explore space both inner and outer. . . . .
oket this may not be the best scenario and I do not know Mr Classic Shell at all - even thought, he must be a smart guy who has a lot of potential.
There are lots of ways to go about it, but
my problem is that I rather trust this man than Microsoft. 6 million downloads is a statement. Even do Microsoft
claimed that it has sold more than 100 million Windows 8 licenses. They had to admit that people do appreciate a
start button and want to use it.
lately, I attended a meeting where we discussed
guidance for training standard regarding Win8. Some of my colleagues and myself tryed to include Classic Shell as an recommendation in our papers.
To understand how to create real trust, you first have to understand what causes distrust. In one word: fear.

So. . my question is, what if
a piano fall from the sky onto

Mr Classic Shell
walking
down the road (knock on wood)?
Is there a plan B for the worst case szenario (e.g. it will be carried on as an OpenSource project -
without serious risk
)?

No long talking. . . ehh sorry about that > but I guess you get me!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:04 pm 

Say what?

Blue will come, and Classic Menu will still be required by many. I'm sure features that Mr Classic put in, and now MS is going to put in Blue, will be cancelled out in newer versions, to avoid conflicts.
Mr Classic is a very good man.
He is a professional coder, solving Windows user problems, just like an engineer,
and doing it for free, to the world.
Fear not.

Don't worry
Be happy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:55 pm 

this project is fairly actively worked on, and will likely come with fixes shortly after, or even before blue is released. As far as backup plan in the event of personal crisis; I don't think there is a second coder off hand to jump in and take his place, although in the long run, classic shell may or may not get picked up by someone else, and is already open source, so anyone in the world with coding skills, and a the will to work on it can get his hands on a fairly recent build. to branch out from on their own.. As Far as the files themselves, there here to stay on multiple hosting sites, so even if Ivo stops development at the very least, the current stable version will remain until its no longer compatible with whatever OS is released in the future :P

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:07 pm 

Jcee wrote:
this project is fairly actively worked on, and will likely come with fixes shortly after, or even before blue is released. As far as backup plan in the event of personal crisis; I don't think there is a second coder off hand to jump in and take his place, although in the long run, classic shell may or may not get picked up by someone else, and is already open source, so anyone in the world with coding skills, and a the will to work on it can get his hands on a fairly recent build. to branch out from on their own.. As Far as the files themselves, there here to stay on multiple hosting sites, so even if Ivo stops development at the very least, the current stable version will remain until its no longer compatible with whatever OS is released in the future :P

Classic Shell used to work on Win7, Vista etc. so I have no concerns it will work fine in the desktop. Problem is that Microsoft made some changes in 8.1 overlapping with the functionality of Class Shell:

- Boot to desktop
- Function of the Windows key
- Disable hot corners

My best guess is as long you disable / don't use those in Classic Shell they don't overlap... except if he's using non-documented
registry keys or APIs.

Is he really on a world trip ? You sure Ivo ~= Mr. Snowden ????

EDIT: have to take some things back.. someone using Start 8 (the commercial counterpart) tried 8.1.:

http://forums.stardock.com/446091

Quote:
In 8.1 (full ISO fron MSDN) Start8 (1.16) not working.
The new button in 8.1 ovlerlaps Start8. Only actívate button Star8 when I press "Win" letft.

So Ivo has to do some work ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:04 pm 

Ill be honest. I consider myself to be a smart person and I feel a little lost...

What happened to the purple monkey dishwasher?

When did the time continuum get corrupted?

Why did the T-Rex in Jurassic Park walk onto the tracks by the SUV's but later the SUV fell of a cliff? Was the T-Rex levitating in the first scene?

PS: I just disabled the start button on Classic Shell and that seems to work okay. Check out some of my other post to see what I mean. And yes, Windows 8.1 still sucks.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:22 am 

Ciao loekf
Thanks for the reply and want to thank you and everyone else for coming up with good thinking to manipulate my solution. Snowden. . . is the world that small, really?
Can’t believe I said that!

The greatest remedy for anger is delay. -- purple monkey dishwasher

Was surprised to get so much feedback in such a short period of time. Well, passion worth more than paycheck – only guessing. Don’t ask, don’t tell! Me lazy bone > next time I will read more what other people wrote about similar topics instead of asking such silly questions. My apo-polo-logy to wast your time. Keep up the good stuff/work!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:03 am 

if it were a waste we wouldn't have replied, for that was our choice to use our time this way :P

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:19 am 

Hehe - glad to hear :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:07 am 

Thoughts on NSA, Snowden:
Isn't it handy > if anyone forget any pw. . . c==3 / (o)(o), why you asking me > just call NSA, they can tell you <3!!
- they know you better than you ever will