It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:20 pm 

I start with a functioning Win 7 SP 1 system. The main know operating system problem is an excessive number of Windows Explorer crashes followng file searches.

I also use Macro Express for macros and Keytweak to remap some keys on the keyboard.

I install CSM 4 3 1 for the first time.

After a few days of no problems and finally getting my menu right, I notice that my keyboard quits working. I key a key and nothing happens in any application. Windows + r continues to open the run box. The mouse and Windows otherwise seem to be OK.

I restart Windows, and my keyboard works fine. I go awhile and suddenly my keyboard stops working. I have to restart Windows. One day this happened five times.

Following the CSM installation, I saw more Windows Explorer crashes.

I ran system file check and Norton Security. They revealed no problems.

I could not live with the no keyboard restart Windows cycle. I restored the Windows checkpoint before the CSM installation. Since the restoration, the loss of keyboard problem hasn't hapened. I think the number of Windows Explorer crashes has gone down.

I didn't find this problem in the forum.

I like CSM, but losing the keyboard and having to restart Windows is a show stopper.

Any suggestions?

I wondered if some post Win 7 fixes might not work under 7. Is there a pre Win 8 version around that I could try.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:18 pm 

Show stopper indeed.. I haven't heard of it happening thusfar (maybe IVO has), and windows 7 compatibility should be pretty high, as it hasn't changed much. (unlike windows 10) but consider trying an older version of classic shell just in-case one of the new features broke compatibility.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/classi ... 20release/ being the most likely to work correctly, assuming you dont need the windows 7 style, or a customized taskbar.

You mention that they keyboard still works for 'win+r' does that mean that the keyboard functions normally for everything outside of classic shell when the error occurs? If-so you can right click and select exit to close classic shell, and then run it again from the default start menu.

I havnt used macro express, but I have used keytweak with classic shell and without incident. *IIRC all it does is write the changes to the registry anyways*

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:26 am 

Since I still use Win 7 Pro and never had a single trouble using Classic Shell, first of all, given that you're using a program to remap some keyboard keys, I would start disabling this last one.
The fact that Win+r is still working may be the prove that you haven't really "lost" the keyboard...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:13 pm 

After looking up confirmation. I cant seem to quickly find the method keytweak uses to remap, so I would actually agree that trying an alternative like Sharpkeys https://github.com/randyrants/sharpkeys which does in-fact only write to the registry (which lets windows do the remapping itself)
This may solve your issue, if it is with keytweak.