It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:56 pm 

I'm wondering if the problem I'm having is either related to Classic Shell or if can be fixed by adjusting a Classic setting.

Here's what's happening: the vast majority of the time, whenever I try to drag & drop files from one folder to another while pressing the right mouse button in Explorer (to change the behavior from the default to either explicit copy or move), the Explorer context menu almost immediately takes over, effectively making drag & drop impossible (although every once in a while it works correctly). This only happens on my Windows 10 Pro (1703) machine, and never happens on my Windows 7 Pro computers.

In the full settings for the Classic Start Menu (v4.3.1), there's an item under the "General Behavior" tab named: "Drag/drop hide delay". Now, this sounds to me like what it does is increase the time it takes while waiting for a possible drag & drop operation before the explorer context menu "takes over". But the description that shows up while hovering doesn't seem to agree with that concept, but it's a bit ambiguous. So the first question is: Can anyone provide a fuller explanation of just what that setting does and if it's germane to my problem?

And if it's not relevant, is there a Classic Shell setting that would help resolve this problem?

Thanks!

It turned out that the problem was my mouse! :oops:

It's decades old -- it's a Logitech Trackman Marble, which they stopped making many years ago, but I had to keep using it because it's by far my favorite mouse.

Here's what must have been happening: The internal switch under the right mouse button was giving intermittent contact. So when Explorer "saw" even a brief electrical disconnection, it looked as if I had stopped pressing down on the right button, so it correctly switched from Drag & Drop mode into Context Menu mode.

Just a few minutes ago I connected a different mouse, and the problem went away!

Thanks to all for your patience!

Last edited by Umbert on Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:00 am 

picture below

Attachments:
help.PNG
help.PNG [ 2.17 KiB | Viewed 36410 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:42 pm 

Blokk888 wrote:
picture below

Thank you for your cryptic reply. Yes, those are the same settings & values I have. But clearly I'm too stupid to understand how that answers my questions. Perhaps you wouldn't mind elaborating, please?

For example, does that "Drag/drop hide delay" setting actually control the time it takes waiting for a possible drag & drop operation before the explorer context menu "takes over"? Or does it do something else, such as control the delay for dragging something out from the context menu itself to the desktop or folder before the menu closes, which is what the confusing description says? I ask because changing that value, even massively, does not appear to make any difference in what I'm describing in my OP.

Please help me understand your response. Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:14 pm 

this mostly happens on windows 10 explorer.exe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:52 pm 

That setting applies to the start menu, not windows explorer. All classic shell affects in explorer (on windows 10) is the addition of a toolbar
Basically your issue shouldn't be related to classic shell.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:45 pm 

Hi.
Looking at the CSM tool tip for "Drag/drop hide delay",
says Lets you drag from the menu to the Desktop or other programs.

I then Googled drag and drop problems with Windows 10

one of links is here:

https://howtoremove.guide/windows-10-dr ... t-working/

Don't know if it works or not. I don't have that problem with Win 10 1709

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:51 pm 

It turned out that the problem was my mouse!

It's decades old -- it's a Logitech Trackman Marble, which they stopped making many years ago, but I had to keep using it because it's by far my favorite mouse.

Here's what must have been happening: The internal switch under the right mouse button was giving intermittent contact. So when Explorer "saw" even a brief electrical disconnection, it looked as if I had stopped pressing down on the right button, so it correctly switched from Drag & Drop mode into Context Menu mode.

Just a few minutes ago I connected a different mouse, and the problem went away!

Thanks to all for your patience!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:15 pm 

That's good. :)

I've had problems like that too. The mouse wire would break at the entry point of body.
It would work most of the time. I go through cheap mice every couple of years.

One expensive Microsoft wireless mouse, I wore out the left button. I really had to click it hard to make electrical contact. I unsoldered both the left and right switches, reversed positions,
and resoldered. Still use it to this day. Got to be 10 years old now!

Yeah, sometimes it's oxide buildup on the switch contacts, or the metal elements just wore down,
from thousands of hits.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:18 pm 

i'm so stupid to answer questions ಠ_ಠ