It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:15 pm 

Recently did a clean install of win 10 on my machine and ever since then I haven't been able to manually add any shortcuts to any subfolders of the "all programs" folder.

I normally will use the right-click menu option to open that folder in an explorer window and drag links over (holding Alt so it creates a link rather than copying the file), but I"ve also tried dragging and dropping the item to the start menu itself and into the folder.

Every time, I get an error that "windows can't create a shortcut here" and would I like to create one on the desktop instead. Oddly, if I let it create a shortcut on the desktop, I can then drag that shortcut into programs folder without any problem.

I've tried updating classic start menu to 4.3.1 (it was on 4.3.0) with no luck. I'm running Windows 10 build 15063 (fall creators update I think it's called).

I'm pretty sure I was able to do this before the clean install, but I might have just gotten used to adding to the desktop first and dragging form there.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:37 pm 
Site Admin

It is possible you've lost permissions to edit those folders. Look at the folder properties and see if the permissions look OK, and that the owner of the folder is correct.