It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:01 pm 

Thought I'd mention first that I just donated $20, so I hope it helps and encourages others to do the same. I've benefited from Classic Shell over the years and for some stupid reason I don't think I ever donated.

Anyway, I'm old-school and remember the very useful ability to CTRL-click the parent button on Windows Explorer window and it would pop up a new window that was the parent of the current drive/folder. I've done some searching in the settings (with the cool text search), as well as doing some forum searching and can't find anything related to this.

Is this something I can do? If so, any help would greatly be appreciated. It's driving me crazy. :|

I should also mention I'm talking about on Windows 10. For some reason on my Windows 7, the CTRL click on parent does open a new window. So I'm not sure if I found that option before and can't find it now or if Classic Shell works different Windows 7 vs 10.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:48 pm 

On Windows 7, the Up button is added to Explorer by Classic Explorer. On Windows 8/8.1/10, Microsoft added it back themselves but forgot the Ctrl+click function.

So simply add the Up button to your Explorer toolbar and use it instead. Click+clicking it should open the parent folder in a new window. Ignore the Up button in the address bar.

Attachments:
Up (Small).png
Up (Small).png [ 103.32 KiB | Viewed 14332 times ]

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:03 am 

TOO perfect. Thanks!!!