It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:06 am 

Hi,

I was just upgraded to the windows creators update 1703. I was having problems with the start menu after it installed, and so I decided to download and install CSM because I was pretty fed up with the windows 10 start menu anyway.

However, after installation, the following occurred:
Instead of seeing a "stutdown" menu, what I see is a "logoff" menu.

I went into the CSM settings, and no matter what shutdown setting I tried to apply, this did not change.

Maybe a clue is that the option to "Show shutdown during remote session" has a lock on it, and says it is disabled due to group policies, but I haven't set any group policies. I am using windows 10 home edition, so I don't have the policy editor....
The settings I have set in the CSM shutdown settings selected are: Shutdown Dialog, and I have put the following commands in the "shutdown menu items" list: "switch_user,logoff,restart,sleep,hibernate,shutdown,lock". I also tried leaving the "shutdown menu items" list blank, which is supposed to default to all options, but that didn't work either.

I am able to use the win-x menu to shutdown the computer, and all the options show up there, but I would prefer to have this working in CSM.

Also, sometimes apps like "system" won't launch. I don't know why, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Maybe this is a windows issue instead of a CSM issue. I don't know.

I have attached a screenshot showing CSM, and also a system log produced by your CSM utility.

Thanks for the help,
Philip

Attachments:
File comment: system log generated by CSM untilty.
system log.txt [206.64 KiB]
Downloaded 782 times
File comment: screenshot showing "logoff" instead of "shutdown".
2017-07-17.png [333.39 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Last edited by phreich on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:13 am 
Site Admin

It sounds like shutting down is disabled for your PC.
If you click on the Desktop, then press Alt+F4, do you see "shut down" in the list?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:43 am 

Ivo wrote:
It sounds like shutting down is disabled for your PC.
If you click on the Desktop, then press Alt+F4, do you see "shut down" in the list?

No, shutdown is not disabled. When I press Alt+F4, it brings up the windows 10 shutdown options.

Good thinking though....

Thanks,
Philip

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:06 am 
Site Admin

OK, download the Classic Shell Utility from here: http://www.classicshell.net/downloads/
Run it, save a system log and send it to me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:29 pm 

Ivo wrote:
OK, download the Classic Shell Utility from here: http://www.classicshell.net/downloads/
Run it, save a system log and send it to me.

I already did. It is attached to the first post.

Thanks,
Philip

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:02 pm 
Site Admin

the REST_NOCLOSE policy is set to 48. That's un unusual value. It should be either 0 or 1.
It corresponds to this policy: "Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar\Remove and prevent access to the Shut Down, Restart, Sleep, and Hibernate commands"
See if you can disable it from gpedit.msc.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:55 pm 

Ivo wrote:
the REST_NOCLOSE policy is set to 48. That's un unusual value. It should be either 0 or 1.
It corresponds to this policy: "Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar\Remove and prevent access to the Shut Down, Restart, Sleep, and Hibernate commands"
See if you can disable it from gpedit.msc.

I found and installed gpedit.msc (I am running win 10 home edition), and updated the value to "disabled", rebooted the machine, and the behavior stayed the same. Is there a registry value I should be looking for?

Attached is another dump from your utility.

Philip

Attachments:
classic shell log 7_19_2017 after gpedit change.txt [188.2 KiB]
Downloaded 799 times
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:07 pm 
Site Admin

Search the registry for a value named "NoClose" and delete it.

For me it is here: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy Objects\{212B0188-33B8-42FA-9A4F-C48AEA1F5EDF}User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

I don't know if the location is the same for everybody

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:09 pm 
Site Admin

Actually, it is probably here: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:20 am 

Ivo wrote:
Actually, it is probably here: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

I did a regedit, and searched for NoClose, and found something interesting -- there were 4 entries that were formatted like the first key you mentioned, but they contained the following REG_SZ type entry: "**del.NoClose", with a value of 0 (zero). It looks like something changed the names of these keys -- it wasn't me.

There were two places in the registry that were formatted like the second example you have, but the REG_SZ type entry was "NoClose", both had a value of 0 (zero).

I assume that the value of 0 (zero) is probably the default, which means the start button should be enabled -- correct?

I did not find one that had a value of 48. I don't think searching through the registry for "48" is going to find it -- there will be too many hits to ever find the right one.

Any further ideas?

Thanks,
Philip

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:48 am 
Site Admin

As far as I know the Home edition should not have any policies set. See if you can delete the two NoClose that you found. Maybe even having 0 there throws Windows off.
Other than that, no ideas.