It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:03 am 

Hi,

After updating to Windows 10 Creators, the taskbar height for the account using Classic Shell is no longer sticky. I'm using a two-rows taskbar but it's always reset to one-row upon startup. I don't have the problem for accounts not running Classic Shell.

Could this be due to Classic Shell ? I tried to disable Classic Start Menu in the Task Manager but I'm getting the Classic Start Menu anyway as if it were not disabled (even after a reboot), although it is marked as disabled in the Startup tab of the Task Manager.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:17 am 
Site Admin

Try using the default Windows start button, not the Classic Shell. See if that makes a difference.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:04 am 

Ivo wrote:
Try using the default Windows start button, not the Classic Shell. See if that makes a difference.

This doesn't change anything.

I tried to disable Classic Start Menu from the Startup tab of the Task Manager but strangely enough, the Classic Menu is loaded anyway, even after a reboot (although it still appears as disabled in the Startup tab of Task Manager).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:27 am 

OK. I was not aware that ClassicStartMenu.exe is loaded when clicking on the Start button.

As long as I do not activate the Classic Startup Menu during a session, the height of my taskbar remains as set in a previous session (two-rows in my case). If I re-enable Classic Startup menu in the Startup tab of the Task Manager or if I load it by clicking on the Start button, the taskbar is reset to one-row in subsequent Windows sessions.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:47 am 

Hi,

The problem disappears when using "Windows 7 Style" as the Start Menu Style.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:44 am 

Ivo wrote:

Hi,
Thanks for respond... I'll try to use default start button first... if it doesn't help, I'll change style to win7... even I don't like it,... it is not so handy like Classic style...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:46 am 

Samoreen wrote:
The problem disappears when using "Windows 7 Style" as the Start Menu Style.

... but it re-appeared for some reason. The taskbar height setting is sticky for a while when I change the Start Menu style but then the problem re-appears.

Not a major issue but it's annoying. I'm not sure that it's a problem on the Classic Shell side since it appeared only after the Creators update (which brought its share of nuisances).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:57 pm 

:o I currently have Windows 10 Pro version 1703 (OS Build 15063.674). Since the recent Creators Update, I, too, lose the vertical height setting on my taskbar. It will stay for the current session but when I reboot my computer the height goes back to being one bar high. VERY ANNOYING and troublesome.

I have tried all of the suggestions and none of them permanently work. I've always used the Windows 7 Style and tried using the default Windows Start button, as well as other suggestions.

Is Classic Shell working the issue? :?: Will we see a "fix" soon.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE help! :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:18 pm 

The recent update is the 'fall creators update' you are on the spring one.
I cant say if it will solve your issue (probably not) but you can try updating, again. then reinstalling classic shell.
As for a classic shell fix, sadly it seems that the developer has other focuses right now, un-related to classic shell; particularly on windows 10 (which is becoming a pain with its frequent changes)
It works fine for me personally, for now though :P