It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:55 am 

I'm trying to install Classic Shell 4.3.0 in a Windows 10 Pro guest VM that I created with VirtualBox.

I successfully installed it once, but then had to restore a previous system point in my Windows, and now I'm getting the 2755 error. Per http://www.classicshell.net/faq/#install_err2755 and https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/5 ... sable.html, I've tried to run as administrator; enabled the guest administrator account, including setting the password, and logged into this account and tried to run the installer; I've ensured that the "Program Files\Classic Shell" folder is not read-only restricted.

But nothing seems to work. I get the 2755 error regardless of whether I'm my regular user and right-click > Run as Administrator; or if I log in as the Administrator and run the installer. I also tried re-downloading the installer file, but still get the 2755 error.

Any suggestions about what else to try?

I'm sure that I really want to use this program :-).

Thanks very much,
-Monique

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:11 pm 

Run Windows Disk Cleanup Tool on your C:\ drive and free up some disk space.

Another possibility is that your Temp folder's permissions got messed up. Make sure your %tmp% directory (C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Local\Temp) is writable. You should be able to create a blank text file in it. Open Properties of the Temp folder and take ownership of it first using your user account or the Administrators group. Then, grant full write permissions to the correct users and groups (Administrators group and/or your user account at least) and then try running the installer again.

Here is a tutorial on how to take ownership and get full access to files and folders in Windows 10: http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-take-own ... indows-10/

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:17 pm 

Thanks for (repeating) the instructions that I already referenced. I've plenty of space -- this is a brand new (VirtualBox VM) Windows 10 Pro installation. And looking at the Permissions for Temp, I have full permissions for SYSTEM, msemp (my username), and an Administrators group. And I'd already tested and confirmed that I can create folders and files under the %tmp% (msemp\AppData\Local\Temp) folder.

One thing that is odd, though: When I right-click the Temp folder and select Properties, the General Attributes shows a filled-in box for "Read-only (Only applies to files in folder)". I can clear it, click Apply, select "Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files", and click OK, at which time the box remains clear. I click OK. But when I re-open the Properties for Temp, the box is again filled in. So perhaps something in there is a read-only file that's not having its permissions changed as required?

If that's the case, I don't know how to confirm or fix it.

So, any more ideas of things to try?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:22 am 

The Read-only behavior is normal. Folders cannot have read-only attribute so that's how Windows behaves.

I have seen this error happen if the C:\Windows\Installer folder is missing or permissions on it are messed up.

You can also try unregistering and re-registering Windows Installer from an elevated command prompt:

A. Unregister Windows Installer. Type the following at an elevated command prompt and then press Enter:
msiexec /unregister

B. Reregister Windows Installer. Type the following at an elevated command prompt and then press Enter:
msiexec /regserver

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:14 am 

Eureka :lol: !! There was no c:\Windows\Installer folder, so I created it manually. Then I re-ran the installer (as Administrator; didn't try as my regular user), and everything is installed! (I'd first tried to de/reregister msiexec, but that didn't help the situation.)

Thanks, Gaurav!

@Classic Shell: perhaps it'd be helpful to add this info to the FAQ for error code 2755 (http://www.classicshell.net/faq/#install_err2755)?

I'm looking forward to a much better Windows 10 experience :-).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:59 am 

I solved my problem after I read all postings. :lol: