It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:23 am 

I have just installed Classic Shell on an old Thinkpad convertible tablet (X61T) running Windows 10 Home 32-bit. Under the standard Windows 10 setup, I had ten or so program icons on the task bar for Chrome, Word, Excel and such. As soon as Classic Shell is launched, all program and folder icons disappear from the task bar (tray icons are still there). Even opening programs and folders does not display an icon on the task bar so there is no option to pin a program.

Last weekend I installed Classic Shell on my desktop pc, running Win 10 Pro 64 bit. On this system, all the task bar icons I had pinned under the standard Win 10 setup remained pinned under Classic Shell. This is perfect, exactly how I want to use Windows 10.

I'm pretty sure I chose all the same options on the Thinkpad. How can I get the icons to appear on the task bar on this system?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:48 pm 

Ok we need more information to troubleshoot this issue.

1. Do you have more than one display/monitor for the ThinkPad?

2. What do you mean by "as soon as Classic Shell is launched"? The Start Menu automatically loads at startup so is that what you are referring to or do you mean when it is installed?

3. What happens if you right click the Start button and choose Exit? Do the Taskbar icons return?

4. What happens if you later run C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\ClassicStartMenu.exe. Do the pinned icons disappear again?

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:16 pm 

1. No, using the built-in laptop display only.

2. I meant as soon as it is installed the icons disappeared. I tried restarting after installing and they are still not there. When I uninstall, the taskbar icons come back as in the default Win10 setup. And disappear when I reinstall.

3. Ah I did not know you could do that. Yes, when I exit Classic Shell the taskbar icons reappear.

4. Yes, if I run ClassicStartMenu.exe the icons disappear again.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:10 pm 

I guess no one else has seen anything like this...?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:36 pm 

Yes no one has experienced this so unless we can reproduce the problem on our PCs, it is hard to fix. Have you tried unlocking your taskbar and dragging around a few toolbars by their handles? Right click the empty area of the taskbar and uncheck "Lock the taskbar." Then a dotted line will to the left of each toolbar on the taskbar. Try dragging it left and right to see if the icons return.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:55 pm 

ok, I'm away from the laptop for the weekend. I will follow up after work tomorrow.