It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:07 pm 

Win 10 1607, latest version of Classic Shell. All of a sudden today, two changes that I've so far noticed:

1) On black background, dual columns, a number of entries became highlighted (puke green);

2) Right click on the start button doesn't pop up the context menu, although the setting is there to do so. Only "Start" tip shows.

I suspected these changes might be related to a computer crash, although other crashes - a bunch lately as I solved a problem - didn't cause any changes in CS. So I uninstalled and reinstalled the program, but no change. Except the first two times I right clicked on the Aero start button, the context menu came up with a ~two second delay. After I changed the start button's style, it stopped coming up. Changing it backt had no effect. The only way to get to the settings now is via Classic Shell as one of the installed programs.

Any explanation for this? Thanks,

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:31 pm 
Site Admin

That would indicate there was some sort of update. The green highlight is because there is a new version of some app.
You can right-click on the green items and select "remove highlight".

The right click problem is weird. Have you tried rebooting? Or holding down Shift while clicking?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:47 pm 

Just did a clean Win 10 reinstall over the weekend, so everything is the latest, including Classic Shell, which is one of the highlighted (I checked in the program for an update)!

Since posting, I discovered the context menu problem is general, and the keyboard function keys aren't working either. Any ideas? Came out of the blue (obviously other keys are). I suppose it's possible that the highlight issue is related to this, but I couldn't say why.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:01 pm 
Site Admin

The highlight just means there is a new program.
If right-click doesn't work in other places, maybe it is the mouse?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:05 pm 

Ah, ok.

Not if the function keys don't work. Not if left click works. Too many coincidences.

Update: I was wrong. Just switched and it is the mouse. Never seen a button go bad like that before, and I've been at this a long time.