It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:45 pm 

Hi there,

Two identical laptops: dell xps 13 one 9350 and other 9360. Menu Settings are saved and copied from the older 9350 to the newer 9360. Everything works
perfectly, except that the option to show the control panel menu shows a major delay of 3 - 4 seconds (also the icon display in the menu on top is stuck)
while the older laptop shows no delay whatsoever.

Any idea and or help someone is able to provide? I searched the forum and google but so far it did not bring me any luck!

Thanks!

running windows 10 pro on older and windows 10 home on newer. Could it be that simple?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:40 pm 
Site Admin

Possibly one of the items in the control panel is slow to provide its properties. Look for items that are in one and not the other.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:14 am 

Hi there,

It seems you are right. When opening the control panel, there are some items that are slowed down. This is not happening on the older laptop,
although some slight, but a user wont notice the small difference vs the large difference on the new laptop. It seems as the intel graphics and
intel product improvement program and adobe flash icons cause the delay. After some search on google it seems difficult to remove or adjust them
from the control panel. I will try to see whether I have a solution and will post this here.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:05 pm 

Dear Ivo,

Sorry for my delayed answer. But after removing the icons that delays the control panel, still the menu in classicshell
is affected.

How is this possible?

A deinstall and reinstallation of classicshell did not solve the problem either. It seems that loading of the control panel icon in the menu
itself forms a problem it seems. As the other icons of <Pc settings> <Devices and printers> etc etc are loading equally fast but when
the mouse hovers over the control panel option, the icons get stalled loading.

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:20 pm 

Post a screenshot of your Control Panel with all items showing.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:35 am 

Here is the link to a screenshot (part) of the control panel items.

https://s28.postimg.org/jh7mq3knv/Untitled_1.jpg

Hope this helps!

Best

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:37 am 

The third party Control Panels I see are Intel Rapid Storage Technology and Java. Any of these could be causing the Control Panel submenu to get delayed by a few seconds.

In Classic Start Menu settings, try playing with the following options on "General Behavior" tab and see if it makes any difference:
- Pre-cache icons
- Delay loading of icons

Try to check both and see if loading speed improves. Delay loading of icons can give you an idea which icon is slow to load.

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:06 pm 

Did not help or improve with any kind of setting.

What I also noticed is that during the 30 second startup of windows the delay is not present but after is.

Does this have to do how other types of software are delaying the control panel appearance speed?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:29 pm 

Try deleting your Classic Start Menu icon cache.

1. First right click Start button and exit the Start menu.
2. Press Win+R keys to open Run dialog and type or paste: %localappdata%\ClassicShell\ in it.
3. File Explorer will open at %localappdata%\ClassicShell\. Delete the DataCache.db file.
4. Open the Start menu again by running:
C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\ClassicStartMenu.exe

Now the cache will be re-built. Does the delay go away now?

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:06 pm 

No did not work unfortunately. Great info though! This was exactly what kind of suggestions I would need to make it work.

But still no luck..... :-(

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:24 pm 

Then there is definitely a third party icon in your Control Panel that is causing the delay. It does not seem to be a Classic Shell issue.

Compare Start Menus