It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:00 pm 

Installed Classic Shell on a newly upgraded (from win 7 pro) win 10 desktop. Installation seems to have gone fine but I don't get the classic menu. Still have the win 10 menu.

I originally installed 4.2.5c. When that didn't work I uninstalled that, then installed 4.2.5. When that didn't work, I uninstalled 4.2.5 and re-installed 4.2.5c

Windows info:
    Edition Windows 10 Pro
    Version 1511
    OS Build 10586.494
    Product 1D XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Processor lntel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 v3 @ 3.30GHz
    3.00 GHz
    Installed RAM 16.0 GB
    System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
    Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

When I right click I do see the classic context menu and can go to settings etc. I can exit and then a right click gives me the long win10 context menu. I then run ClassicStartMenu.exe and a right click shows the classic context menu again. Just never see the actual menu (configured for a win7 look).

Classic Start Menu is listed in the task manager startup tab.

I've seen other threads ask about Cortana. AFAIK it is installed but not enabled as it is not linked to a Microsoft account.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:08 pm 
Site Admin

Look at the Controls tab in the settings. Make sure the mouse click and the Win key are set to open the classic menu.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:34 pm 

thanks a lot. that was it. And here I thought I was clever in putting up the new box in a remote window and going through all the settings comparing my win 8.1 laptop with the new one. maybe just slipped the mouse at that entry

again thanks for the quick reply / fix.