It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:09 am 

I just installed Classic Shell on a Windows 10 Home laptop. I already have it on a Windows 10 Pro desktop. On the classic start menu the favorites jump is showing <empty> but users/me/favorites is fully populated. I think it is somehow linking to a different folder. It works fine on the desktop system. I've tried both 2 column and Windows 7 style of menu. Both behave the same. Any way I can look and see where "Favorites" is linking to?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:14 am 
Site Admin

The Favorites menu will show the Edge favorites if Edge is your default browser. Switch the default to IE to see the IE favorites.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:29 pm 

Thank you very much. That did it. I had to search to reset the default browser to IE but when I did my favorites returned. Thanks again. Mike

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:03 pm 

Ivo wrote:
The Favorites menu will show the Edge favorites if Edge is your default browser. Switch the default to IE to see the IE favorites.

I have the same problem, and using IE as the default browser is NOT an option. IE is an unsafe browser, and I steer my customers away from it whenever feasible. Just for the heck of it I tried linking the folder CS opens as Edge's favorites to IE's favorites and it causes Edge to immediately crash (even though Edge no longer uses that folder but a database for favorites). So I set the default browser to Firefox and then copied his IE favorites into Edge's (unused) Favorites folder and that got the CS Favorites menu working, but it is NOT an ideal solution.

Can CS have a customizable Favorites folder, eg point it to OneDrive\Favorites (which was the whole point of this exercise)? IE's favorites can be moved eg into OneDrive by editing the properties and changing the folder location. It would be nice if CS would see this and use it. Previous versions of Windows Start Menu use the IE Favorites folder, so this would be the expected behavior for CS as well.

If CS were able to read the various browser's favorites formats and use that in the start menu, changing the default browser could then change that favorites list. However, "Change your default browser to IE" is a poor solution for fixing the favorites menu.

- Eric C. Berlin, MIS.
ECJB Computer Services LLC.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:03 pm 
Site Admin

You can add any folder to the start menu. In your case simply add IE's Favorites folder as a custom menu item. If you use the Link property in the item settings, the correct icon and name will be automatically used.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:11 pm 

ecjb1969 wrote:
Ivo wrote:

I have the same problem, and using IE as the default browser is NOT an option. IE is an unsafe browser, and I steer my customers away from it whenever feasible. Just for the heck of it I tried linking the folder CS opens as Edge's favorites to IE's favorites and it causes Edge to immediately crash (even though Edge no longer uses that folder but a database for favorites). So I set the default browser to Firefox and then copied his IE favorites into Edge's (unused) Favorites folder and that got the CS Favorites menu working, but it is NOT an ideal solution.

Can CS have a customizable Favorites folder, eg point it to OneDrive\Favorites (which was the whole point of this exercise)? IE's favorites can be moved eg into OneDrive by editing the properties and changing the folder location. It would be nice if CS would see this and use it. Previous versions of Windows Start Menu use the IE Favorites folder, so this would be the expected behavior for CS as well.

If CS were able to read the various browser's favorites formats and use that in the start menu, changing the default browser could then change that favorites list. However, "Change your default browser to IE" is a poor solution for fixing the favorites menu.

- Eric C. Berlin, MIS.
ECJB Computer Services LLC.

agreed, I've never used the feature myself but I also can't tand IE, I use Vivaldi as my default browser, but also have Firefox and Google chrome for things that either dont work in vivaldi or are easier to bookmark properly in Chrome [i have firefox mainly due to the squared tabs gained via certain add-ons being good for customisation compared to chromes tab shapes being such a pain in the ***]