It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:18 am 

I need help on what to change in the skin
with the colors on top and bottom when all programs menu is scrolling.
I have attached a pic to show
Im using resource hacker and don't know what exactly to change to get those more black instead,
to match the black background.

Help appreciated.
Thank you

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:13 am 

Main_pager has the normal and selected backgrounds for the scroll buttons for main menu. The background can be a bitmap (=1,=2 etc) which is the bitmap resource name. Submenu_pager has the normal and selected backgrounds for the scroll buttons for main menu

Main_pager_arrows has 4 arrow images. The top 2 point up, the bottom 2 point down, the left 2 are normal and the right 2 are selected.
Submenu_pager_arrow is the arrow image for submenu.

Reading the skin tutorial if you haven't already: http://www.classicshell.net/tutorials/skintutorial.html :)

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:56 am 

Thank you for your post.
Yes i have read the tutorial but i just cant figure it out, so bare with me :)
I'm new to this skinning thing.
In the skin is this :
; Main_pager - a bitmap that contains the background for the pager buttons (the ones that scroll menus up and down)
;Main_pager=5
;Main_pager_slices_X, Main_pager_slices_Y - the slices for Main_pager
;Main_pager_slices_X=3,1,3
;Main_pager_slices_Y=4,4,4
;Main_pager_arrows - a bitmap that contains the arrow image to draw on top of the Main_pager background
;Main_pager_arrows=6
I can't see any reference to any color or bitmap in this, so what do i change there?
Hope you can bare with me and help a newbie on this skinning thing out :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:17 am 

Yes sure, we are here to help. :) Main_pager means main menu's pager (arrow) bitmap background. Since you want to change the pager appearance for the submenu, you should change Submenu_pager. If it is a number, for example, if Submenu_pager=5 then it means the resource number 5 under 'Bitmap' in Resource Hacker is the background bitmap for the submenu. Replace it with another modified bitmap with the colors of your choice and correct dimensions and you will have the background changed.

Because in your case, the submenu is a slightly greyish black, black separators would suit it. So prepare a black background image of the same dimensions. So select the correct submenu_pager_arrow bitmap and replace it with another one using Resource Hacker's Action menu.

As for the pager arrows, you need them white or some other color if background is black, otherwise they won't be visible.

Feel free to ask if you have difficulty. You can also upload your skin file here and tell us what color you want the pager arrows and pager arrow background to be.

Oh and the bitmap needs to be a 32-bit bitmap (24-bit with transparency, so make sure your replacement bitmap is made with the correct editor.

Step by step would go somewhat like this (Make sure you are running Resource Hacker as administrator if you are editing a skin file located in C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\Skins\ or another UAC protected directory):

1. Open the skin file in Resource Hacker and find what submenu_bitmap says in the skin.
2. Go to that number under "Bitmap" in Resource hacker.
3. Save it by right clicking it.
4. Open it in your favorite bitmap editor like Photoshop or GIMP.
5. Change the colors to what you want.
6. Save the bmp as a 32-bit bmp
7. Make sure the bitmap to be replaced is again selected in Resource Hacker and then from Action menu, click Replace bitmap.
8. Browse to the modified one and click Replace.
9. Better to exit Classic Shell before saving to avoid an access violation error.
10. Save the skin file and start Classic Shell again.

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:41 am 

Thanks much much appreciated :)

I have and found:
;Submenu_pager=5

and i have changed bitmap 5 under bitmap to dark color bitmap,
But it makes no difference :O
The skin im trying to change is "Metro glass skin for windows 8"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:48 am 

Oh I see in that skin that submenu_pager is commented out by a semicolon. Uncomment it by removing the semicolon before it and then try. You need to uncomment
Submenu_pager=5
Submenu_pager_slices_X=3,1,3
Submenu_pager_slices_Y=4,4,4
Submenu_pager_arrows=6

Also, if it's commented out, it means the slices may not be correct.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:00 pm 

Oh yes now it worked...for a while...then after clicking couple oof times in the meny and scroll it became the same again. Weird.
the down menu scrolling looks like glass now. Its not black as the top scrolling is

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:32 pm 

I found out that the pager bitmap file was bad so i exchanged it to a working one,
and now it works. I think i starting to get it now :)
Thank you so much for you help, much appreciated!