It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:17 pm 

Hello,

I have been trying to figure out a process for putting the classic shell skin that I have saved on all users profiles. I tried saving a registry key from a saved profile, and a few other tests that haven't worked. This is on a domain network so I don't know if there is an additional step I am missing. At this point I have had to log onto each user profile after they login first time, and backup/load the xml file. Thank you for your help. Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:34 pm 
Site Admin

Look at the Administrative Settings section in the help. Basically you have to copy some registry values from HKCU\Software\IvoSoft\ClassicStartMenu into HKLM\Software\IvoSoft\ClassicStartMenu. Those settings will be forced on all users and can't be changed. How do you find the names of the values? Most are obvious. In your case look at Skin1, SkinOptions1, SkinVariation1.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:37 pm 

That seems to work great! Thanks for the help

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:08 am 

Classic Shell 4.0.4 introduces Group Policy support for its own settings. The file, C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\PolicyDefinitions.zip includes the policy definitions. If you have an Active Directory domain, extract the files to %logonserver%\sysvol\%userdnsdomain%\policies\PolicyDefinitions\ or whatever your Group Policy Central Store is. For Local Group Policy, extract them to C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions folder.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:06 am 

I'm so happy with ClassicShell and hope you keep the good work running. Thank you.

I upgraded directly from XP to 8.1.
I recently created a second account (normal user, not admin) and realized that the installed program group (with the first user (admin)) didn't show up in the second user!
This behaviour is strange and new to me. In WinXP there was a User and a start menu folder where programs could install their links so that they can show up for all users on the local machine (especially when installed via admin account).
Is this behaviour removed/changed in Windows 8.1 ??

Do i now have to manually copy the entries from one account to another ( and where are they stored??) ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:41 am 
Site Admin

8.1 works the same way in principle. Programs can be installed for the current user or for all users. You will see that Classic Shell correctly installs for all users and should appear in the start menu regardless of the user. Some installers may choose to put their shortcuts in the current user despite being installed for all users (which would be wrong).
It is possible because of UAC that was introduced in Vista some older installers may be incompatible.
Without specifics - what program is missing and how was it installed - it is hard to answer this in general.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:23 pm 

@Michael, for any program which you want to make available for all users, copy the shortcuts from C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs to
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:47 pm 

Thanks guys for your answers.
That's the info which i needed.