It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:36 am 

Hi

I'm using Classic Shell (Start Menu only) while Microsoft gets round to fixing the Start Menu bug.

Version 4.2.1 work OK for me with the small omissions of functionality which we know about.

Version 4.2.3 however, exhibits a problem. When I click on the 'Start' pane, the menu flicks up (it is the classic menu) then the screen blanks momentarily and once cleared, the menu has disappeared making it impossible to select anything. It looks as if it might be a display issue. Display is ATI Radeon HD 6700 Series with the first WIN10 Catalyst drivers.

Just wanted to let you know.

Paul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:27 am 

Hi,

I get the same issue, the screen goes blank, the taskbar refreshes and then after a couple of attempts the Windows 10 menu replaces the classic shell. Using 4.2.3

Thanks,

Paul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:39 am 

By "screen goes blank", I guess that the taskbar disappears as well and reappears? It can be that Explorer.exe is crashing as soon as you click the button to open the Start Menu.

You could try a fix that was recently developed after the release of Classic Shell 4.2.3 to address a crashing issue on Windows 10. But if it does not work in your case, then additional troubleshooting will be required.

Download this DLL file: download/file.php?id=2313 (note that this is 64-bit only and is only if you have version 4.2.3 installed, not for 32-bit)

Then, you need to exit the start menu (right-click on the start button, then Exit)
Put the ClassicStartMenuDLL.dll file from the zip into the C:\Program Files\Classic Shell folder
Run ClassicStartMenu.exe.

See if the crashing stops. If not, then you can try to create a crash dump using these steps: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6 Analyzing the crash dump will allow the crash to be fixed.

The next version will incorporate this fix.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:44 am 

GauravK,

Thanks for that. I have downloaded, but I uninstalled and reinstalled the shell - still didn't work properly - but I then changed the skin and the menu all of a sudden kicked in.
It's now working a treat. I will keep the downloaded file if the problem starts again.

Thanks,

Paul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:53 am 
Site Admin

Can you please elaborate? Which skin works and which skin causes a crash?
It may be an issue with the glass effect and particular video drivers.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:54 pm 

I was using the release candidate and had some issue with the GUI tonight. Every time I clicked the start menu it would crash the start menu and flicker the desktop as if it did a refresh. I saw in my event viewer that explorer.exe was unexpectedly stopping and restarting but I was also removing apps one by one to find the problem.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Update: I have no problems after installing the dll fix. I am running the following hardware set:

Summary

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

CPU
Intel Core i5 3550 @ 3.30GHz 46 °C
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology

RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 686MHz (8-8-8-24)

Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8Z77-V LK (LGA1155) 41 °C

Graphics
HP 2010 (1600x900@60Hz)
HP 2010 (1600x900@60Hz)
LG TV (1920x1080@59Hz)
Intel HD Graphics (ASUStek Computer Inc)
- Provider: Intel
- Dated 7/10/15
- Version 10.18.10.4252
- MS Signed Driver

1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series (XFX Pine Group) 62 °C
- Driver Provider: Advanced Micro Device, Inc.
- Dated 7/15/2015
- Version 15.200.1046.2
- MS Signed Driver

Storage
167GB INTEL SSDSC2CW180A (SSD)

Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50

Audio
Intel Display Audio

Let me know if you need someone to recreate the issue and ill make it happen. I am now running the glass skin and have no problems.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:21 am 

I also had that crash few times, but after uninstall and install again, no problem.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:05 am 

I have tried replacing the dll with the downloaded one and all now works correctly.

Thanks for the swift response.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:25 am 

Thank you this did work for me. App Menu works fine now.

GauravK wrote:
By "screen goes blank", I guess that the taskbar disappears as well and reappears? It can be that Explorer.exe is crashing as soon as you click the button to open the Start Menu.

You could try a fix that was recently developed after the release of Classic Shell 4.2.3 to address a crashing issue on Windows 10. But if it does not work in your case, then additional troubleshooting will be required.

Download this DLL file: download/file.php?id=2313 (note that this is 64-bit only and is only if you have version 4.2.3 installed, not for 32-bit)

Then, you need to exit the start menu (right-click on the start button, then Exit)
Put the ClassicStartMenuDLL.dll file from the zip into the C:\Program Files\Classic Shell folder
Run ClassicStartMenu.exe.

See if the crashing stops. If not, then you can try to create a crash dump using these steps: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6 Analyzing the crash dump will allow the crash to be fixed.

The next version will incorporate this fix.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:20 am 

I had the same problem.

The DLL fixed it for me.

Thx!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:53 am 

I had the same problem. Win10 Pro 64 bit. The new DLL worked for me! Thanks to the developer, Ivo for his hard work...