It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:44 pm 

Let me preface this by saying this product is the greatest thing since sliced bread and a must have.

My question:

While currently well less than 1 percent of our clients run Windows 8 (due to requirements of stupid softwares they are forced to use... in fact a year ago we were still selling XP systems, slowly able to go to 32bit 7s, none of this stuff really ever worked on Vista just because it took so long to update the software that 7 came out first), we are starting to see some Win 8 use. In fact, 3 machines so far out of a couple thousand. :-)

I would like to include Classic Shell in any Win 8 / Server 2012 installations from hereon forward.

I understand that it's 'free' for commercial use. HOWEVER, I want to make out clients pay. It's a great product, they have lots of money, it will make Windows 8ish OS acceptable for use in their business... but the cheapskates will NEVER donate, trust me.

CAN I charge them some amount, and then turn around and DONATE that amount? I.e., is that permitted by the licensing.

If so, what's a 'resasonable' amount in people's opinions. Don't say 10 cents. Don't say $100. I was thinking five bucks? ten bucks? What do you people think, and what do people usually donate for this sort of of (of the ones that bother to donate).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:13 pm 
Site Admin

Classic Shell is free, no strings attached. People who donate, do it because they love it and want to encourage further development.

It is up to you how you wish to do it and how to handle it with your customers. And for a couple of seats I don't think it matters.

One thing I'll say is that donations less than a buck are not very useful because of the fees withheld by PayPal.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:18 am 

whats the rule on that anyways Ivo? I always thought paypal took a flat 3% regardless of price

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:15 am 
Site Admin

It is 3%+30c. So on $1 it is actually 33%.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:52 pm 

Yikes.. I almost feel bad for those ebay vendors that sell things like usb cords for $0.99 from china.. I mean 66 cents to ship, and produce... that must really cut into profits

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:36 pm 

It's all about volume. Two billion USB cords, that's only 6 per US resident, leaves you a tidy $1.3B to buy your own boat with and a fleet of delivery trucks. I means seriously who owns less than 7 USB cords anyway. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:45 pm 

Ivo wrote:
Classic Shell is free, no strings attached. People who donate, do it because they love it and want to encourage further development.

It is up to you how you wish to do it and how to handle it with your customers. And for a couple of seats I don't think it matters.

Well 300 offices times average 10 machines over the next couple of years. At least that's what I'd like to see with our customers. And of course assuming Microsoft doesn't wake up and smell the coffee first and produce a business worthy interface.

Again with the 'volume' thing. Hahaha...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:48 am 

@mfetzer, thank you btw very much for the kind words about Classic Shell. Not everyone appreciates it as much as you. :)

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:03 pm 

Personally, I sent $10 for each of my computers. I've encouraged clients to donate, but I like your idea, mfetzer. I'm going to start adding $10 per install to my bills and then donate the same here. This product is just too good for the greedy bleeps I do work for to get it for free!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:10 am 

You can add $10 for a fee to install, configure, update, and maintain Classic Shell on people's computers.

You should not be charging clients for Classicshell freeware, however. And if you do, a portion of that should go to Ivo.

I think Ivo should make it free for personal home use, and provide it at a fee for commercial/business use.

Else it won't be long before classicshell is being sold online elsewhere by anyone who fancies a quick buck off someone else's massive amounts of hard dedicated work.

It's just wrong, irregardless of Ivo being a generous and selfless guy. I feel you are just taking advantage of his kindness.

I dont see a difference between selling it online, or selling it face to face.

If you really think its so good people should pay for it, shouldnt you be requesting your clients send money to Ivo, rather than collecting the money yourself.

and regardless of how much money sopmeone has, nobody should be paying for something thats free. Its a criminal act.

Charging your clients to install a fantastic program, configure said program, update and customize it, add the useful tools and BAT commands etc so that its tailored to a specific office's need, does deserve pay. You can charge for that. Not for Classicshell.

And if all you're doing is installing it as is, 10 bucks is pushing it, imo.

and if you are customizing computers, adding commands, shortcuts, BATs, links, etc etc, $10 dollars isn't beginning to cover it, unless its for a large number of computers and done remotely maybe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:01 am 

Tenzen wrote:
You can add $10 for a fee to install, configure, update, and maintain Classic Shell on people's computers.

You should not be charging clients for Classicshell freeware, however. And if you do, a portion of that should go to Ivo.

I think Ivo should make it free for personal home use, and provide it at a fee for commercial/business use.

Else it won't be long before classicshell is being sold online elsewhere by anyone who fancies a quick buck off someone else's massive amounts of hard dedicated work.

It's just wrong, irregardless of Ivo being a generous and selfless guy. I feel you are just taking advantage of his kindness.

I dont see a difference between selling it online, or selling it face to face.

If you really think its so good people should pay for it, shouldnt you be requesting your clients send money to Ivo, rather than collecting the money yourself.

and regardless of how much money sopmeone has, nobody should be paying for something thats free. Its a criminal act.

Charging your clients to install a fantastic program, configure said program, update and customize it, add the useful tools and BAT commands etc so that its tailored to a specific office's need, does deserve pay. You can charge for that. Not for Classicshell.

And if all you're doing is installing it as is, 10 bucks is pushing it, imo.

and if you are customizing computers, adding commands, shortcuts, BATs, links, etc etc, $10 dollars isn't beginning to cover it, unless its for a large number of computers and done remotely maybe

I agree with everything Tenzen said except "irregardless" :-) Charge them $5 for an installation/maintenance fee and donate it as you see fit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:58 pm 

Classic Shell was the FIRST thing I installed when my Windows 8.1 decided not to boot up anymore and had to reinstall. We went to Windows 10 at work and without it, I would absolutely hate the new OS! BRAVO

Vern