It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:55 pm 

Hey, in the left side of the start menu, how do you stop that from scrolling? How can I limit it to like 10 items with small icons, and utilize the rest of the left side of the menu for other custom things?

is that possible?

I want the items to appear in my fly-out folder button called "Program Launcher" which points to %AppData%\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu..

but on the actual start menu, I'd like to either turn off scrolling, and simply truncate what cant be added from that location.. OR, be able adjust the size limit of the height of that menu, so, say, the bottom half can be dedicated to other custom buttons, and the scrolling start programs are confined to a window on the top half of the left column

is that possible?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:06 pm 
Site Admin

Items added through the settings never scroll. The assumption is that you don't add more custom items than fit on your screen. If you do, well, don't.

The rest of the screen space is left to display the contents of the Start Menu folders as well as the recent programs. If they don't all fit on screen they will scroll. If you don't want them to scroll don't put too many items there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:51 am 

well, here's what I thought up for possible solutions:

1. The Classic Shell fix to "Pin to Classic Shell" could be adjusted to allow users to specify any folder they like as the target folder which will be monitored, and also show up in Recent Items...

2. Since the contents of the start Menu are a combination of %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu and %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu, maybe we could specify only one of them to display on the start menu...

3 A way to disable the Left Side of the Start Menu WITHOUT deleting items from the folder that Pin to Classic Shell pins to..

4. A way to resize the area on the left to a specified height, regardless of the amount of items in the %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu folder

5. In addition to "Padding" and "Separator", add one called "Spacer" which forces the left column upwards whatever amount you specify. or have Thick, medium, and narrow Spacers..

- I think we need the following conditions to be true:
  • Right-click Pin to Classic Shell Functionality
  • Alot of programs in %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu or any other custom folder where the Pin to CSM fix pins to...
  • Fewer Icons or No Icons at all in the Left Side Column
Is there any way to maybe use the %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu Folder independently of the %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu Folder to Accomplish something like this?

another solution would be allow multiple columns for the %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu folder, which was discussed in another thread, by making it possible to select a number of columns to add to your menu .. etc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:59 am 

if you create a new item and leave it blank, it will act as a spacer, invisible and unclickable...
add as many as you need

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:34 pm 

Cool, it works, thanks.. i thought it might force things over to the right column.. well, it opens up alot more possibilities.. here's what it looks like with the space added, using the Ctrl+Drag to copy new blank items..

I've got it all the way to the top.. i had to play around with it a bit, if you put too many then the programs overlap the other space.., so you have to find the right number of empty items to completely do away with the Left Panel Programs

its a work in progress. but I like it.. i'll see what I can do to optimize that space..

Attachments:
Capture41.JPG
Capture41.JPG [ 75.41 KiB | Viewed 22176 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:10 pm 

Its also useful to increase the space at the bottom of the left side so that a flyout menu with no delay wont pop up as you move your mouse from the start menu to the right column shutdown area

Just be sure to delete the same amount of blank items from the upper part of the left column as you add to the bottom of the left column, or else it will get super jumbled when all your pinned items show up and overlap the whole menu.

Attachments:
Capture51.JPG
Capture51.JPG [ 22.55 KiB | Viewed 21767 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:43 am 

thats one of the reasons i keep the search bar on the bottom :P, one of the few things i have without a fly-out menu..

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:31 am 

good idea

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:15 pm 

I'd still love to have individual delay settings for fly-outs on a per-item basis though..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:18 am 

Putting my Custom 4-column, all-.exe-file-shortcuts "Program Launcher" folder on the right side, below Shutdown, has been working very nicely AND it still gives me access to the entire right side of the menu when its opened up, making it 5 columns wide (@ width 25) including the right side of the menu