It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:44 am 

I have two new-ish Windows 10 computers at home. One is an Asus laptop running Windows 10 Pro (upgraded from Home), and one is a new Surface Pro which came with Win 10 Pro. Both units have the Creator update, and are up-to-date with the smaller Win10 updates.

I've installed Classic Shell on both of these machines (v. 4.3.0), and notice that on the Surface Pro, 'PC settings' do not show up as part of the search results. I've tried tweaking every setting I can think of (file search is on, indexing is on), and I've even returned to default settings on both machines. Same thing happens every time - Classic Shell on the laptop gives me 'PC Settings' when I search, but the Surface Pro doesn't.

I've read one thread from way back involving a Surface Pro 3, but nothing recent. Has anyone with a Surface Pro had this problem?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:24 am 
Site Admin

In general there is no such file called "PC Settings". When your laptop finds it, what does it do when you run it? Where exactly is this file (which folder)?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:41 pm 

Ivo wrote:
In general there is no such file called "PC Settings". When your laptop finds it, what does it do when you run it? Where exactly is this file (which folder)?

Apologies - I should have been clearer. 'PC settings' is basically the category that all the new Windows 10 settings comes under in Classic Shell. It's not a file or folder in itself. In fact, the Search Bocxoptions for Classic Shell has the option to include or exclude them in searches. The peoblem with the Surface Pro is that the Settings are excluded from the search even when the option is selected.

I do not have access to my home computer at the moment, but will Screen cap what I mean when I get back.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:55 pm 
Site Admin

I see.
Can you find them in Cortana? I think she's using the same search index as the start menu.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:52 am 

Ivo wrote:
I see.
Can you find them in Cortana? I think she's using the same search index as the start menu.

It's quite strange, but Cortana on my Surface Pro also comes up with different (less) search results when looking for things like Wifi Settings, etc.

I have included a screencap below of Classic Shell from my Laptop. I have searched for the work 'Network' as an example, and there is a section that you can see titled 'PC Settings' which contains a few options from the Metro Settings. The Surface Pro does not have this when searching for the same terms.

I wonder if it has something to do with the Cortana search index, but am not sure how to modify this.

Attachments:
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg [ 141.12 KiB | Viewed 25999 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:35 am 

Well I've noticed that as Windows 10 upgrades constantly, eventually at some point, the PC Settings search stops working in the Classic Start Menu (something related to Windows Search or indexing breaks in Windows though, not in CSM). I haven't been able to figure out the reason.

My Creators Update also suddenly can't find PC Settings via CSM but StartIsBack installed on the same installation (but not active at the same time as CS, can find them). With my Anniversary Update installation, the opposite was true. PC Settings search was broken in StartIsBack but worked in Classic Start Menu. I only activate one of the two Start menus at a time so they don't conflict. Cortana search also has no issues finding PC Settings. But CSM doesn't find them currently. I've tried rebuilding the search index and made sure the PC Settings folder is indexed:

C:\Users\<USER FOLDER>\AppData\Local\Packages\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState\Indexed\Settings\en-US

Attachments:
PC Settings.png
PC Settings.png [ 1.09 MiB | Viewed 25991 times ]

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.