It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:07 am 

Hello people,

I want to install Classic Shell for 200 pc's, but it cost to much time to set all configurations to my wishes.
Is there an option (batch, powershell, cmd anything) to install C.S. with the settings?:geek:

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:28 am 
Site Admin

You can use group policies to customize the settings. Have a look at the Administrative Settings section of the help file.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:14 am 

Yes, but I mean that I want to set the configuration like this:

Only computer, 1 program, the 1 collum start menu and that kind of things.
It is only to much work to set everything on each PC.

And I don't want to configure every pc, but let it do by a script or something.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:48 am 
Site Admin

That's what the group policies are for. They should let admins set up multiple PCs at the same time.
If that's not an option, you will need to adjust the settings using the HKLM\Software\IvoSoft\ClassicStartMenu registry key and copy that to each machine. Details are in the help.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:50 am 

Okay, thanks for your quick respond! I tell it when it works!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:27 pm 

After you apply any Group Policy, you will need to log out the user account and logon again or restart the Classic Start Menu. The policies under Computer Configuration apply to all users. The policies under User Configuration apply to a single currently logged in user.

You can also backup all the settings to an XML file via the Settings UI Backup button and then restore that backup on other PCs.

Another way is directly exporting HKLM\Software\IvoSoft\ and HKCU\Software\IvoSoft\ registry keys and importing them on other machines when the Start Menu is not running.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:09 am 

Hello back,

When I was writing down every step, I got another question:

I want that my Administrator has all Items and the full menu, but the other users only a few.
The registry keys for the other users are already made a export of.
How to change those 2 configurations?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:15 am 
Site Admin

The settings in HKLM apply to everybody (including admins). The settings in HKCU apply to the specific user. You can't force a setting to everybody except one user.
You can however change the default without locking the setting. Set up the simple menu that way, and then for the admin add more items. The non-admin users will still be able to do that though, unless you disable the entire editing of the settings.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:17 am 

So when I import my HKLM to the computer and paste a .reg for the admin on HKCU, the setting will work or do I have to make another one and login
to admin anyway?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:21 am 

The Administrator account is just another user account but with additional privileges to modify HKLM branch of Registry. As Ivo said, if you want one set of settings and menu items for admin account and another for all other users, in HKLM, add the settings which will be common to admin+other users (since HKLM applies to all accounts, including admin account on that PC). For the admin account, in HKCU, add the extra settings/menu items. For menu items, the registry value is "MenuItems1" or "MenuItems2" or MenuItems7" (depending on which style of the menu you use). To prevent the menu items from getting locked down via the Settings UI, only add them to HKCU via the admin account.

Under HKLM when you add any registry values, they will be locked down, that is, only admins who have HKLM registry access can change them. If the settings you add have _Default appended to the value name e.g. EnableContextMenu_Default instead of EnableContextMenu, they won't be locked down. Instead, only the defaults will be changed.

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:08 am 

So if I understand it right: I add in HKLM the settings for both users (user and admin) and in HKCU the registry for my admin account? Is it the easiest way to logon as admin and then the reg files import? Sorry if I look like an fool, but I want to know for sure that I won't mess up my company.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:18 am 

rvzon wrote:
So if I understand it right: I add in HKLM the settings for both users (user and admin) and in HKCU the registry for my admin account? Is it the easiest way to logon as admin and then the reg files import? Sorry if I look like an fool, but I want to know for sure that I won't mess up my company.

Yes that's correct. Add in HKLM the settings for both users (user and admin) which are supposed to be common except the MenuItems1/MenuItems2/MenuItems7 values (since you want to add extra items for admin account). And in HKCU, add other settings which are only for admin account+MenuItems1/2/7 value for admin account.

It is easier to logon as admin to merge any reg files.

Also note that in HKLM, you must add the settings to the following Registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IvoSoft\ClassicStartMenu

For HKCU, you must add the settings to the following Registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IvoSoft\ClassicStartMenu\Settings

Compare Start Menus