It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

Post subject: File Explorer crashes
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:23 am 

Hi,
I am on windows 8.1, 64 bit, File explorer freezes and crashed after a few seconds when I right click in the left hand pane. I disabled Classic Shell and the problem disappeared, I re-enabled Classic Shell and the problem returned. I have not been able to find a solutions on line as yet... :? help gratefully received... :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:45 am 

Can you capture a crash dump according to the instructions here?: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6 Attach the crash dump here in ZIP format.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:20 am 
Site Admin

How did you disable Classic Shell to make it not crash?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:05 am 

Re your question :- How did you disable Classic Shell to make it not crash?

I simply right clicked on the start button (ie the shell icon) at the bottom left hand side of the screen and I chose "Exit". This then reverts to the original windows 8.1 set up and after this, no more problems.

Re obtaining a crash dump report, I have unzipped the relevant file which provides a text file and an application file. If I click on the application file it runs for about 0.5 seconds and disappears. I have tried various ways to get to the command prompt in relation to this file but no luck as yet. will keep trying for now :oops: ...thanks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:12 am 
Site Admin

That's weird, cause the presence of the start menu should have no effect on File Explorer.
A crash dump will help diagnose the problem.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:18 am 

Right clicking on the Start Button -> Exit only closes the Start Menu component of Classic Shell. It does not disable the Classic Explorer component which is loaded into File Explorer. To disable it, use Internet Options -> Programs tab -> Manage add-ons and disable the addons related to Classic Shell there. Then reopen the Explorer window.

There is another simple way to open the command prompt. Open File Explorer and go to the folder where you extracted procdump.exe. Now type: cmd in the address bar (after erasing its existing text) and press Enter. Command prompt will be opened. Now you can run the procdump command with the arguments as mentioned in the article on how to capture crash dumps.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.