It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:33 am 

Hi,

I am using Windows 8 (64 bit), but to get rid of all its Metro etc stuff and to make it as close to Windows XP as possible, I am using ex7forw8 together with Classic Shell. That is the ultimate perfect combination.

Everything was working fine with Classic Shell 3.6.7 but when I updated Classic Shell to 4.1.0, Classic Shell seems to crash when Windows 7 explorer is chosen in ex7forw8 - the process is still running, but the start button is not the one from Classic Shell. Killing Classic Shell and restarting it does not help.
If I reboot the PC, the real Classic Shell button shows up for a while but soon is again replaced by the original button, so I assume - Classic Shell crashes (the process is still running, though).
If Windows 8 explorer is chosen with ex7forw8 - then Classic Shell is working without problems.
But the whole point is to be able to use Windows 7 explorer in ex7forw8 together with Classic Shell. Both are needed together! This combination allows me to use Windows 8 and not to switch to Windows 7 altogether.

So, the question is: anybody else has the same problem?
Or do I have to look for conflicts with something else?
I think that the combination ex7forw8 + Classic Shell must be very popular, so I hope for some feedback from others.

Just in case, ex7forw8:
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/157302- ... windows-8/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:27 pm 

ex7forw8 was never an officially supported scenario. If it worked earlier, it was a coincidence. I recommend you to not use ex7forw8 because it breaks Metro UI. As much as people hate Metro UI, critical parts of the OS and system settings are in Metro so disabling it is like crippling/breaking a portion of the operating system.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.