It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:32 pm 

Ok, well just installed windows 8 last night. Today I came across classic shell. Thank you. =)

One of the things I loved in my start menu was "My computer" and "my network places" to access my network computer drives and shares. Now by default in the classic shells start menu, its giving us the network connections vs places. So we just have quick access to our wifi/ethernet connections? Now I havent dug around too much and maybe I can change it to what I need on it, but thought I would post about it with the default setup. Since usually in old xp start menu alone we had "My Connections" area for the other stuff network related.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:36 pm 
Site Admin

Here's how you can add more items to the start menu: http://www.classicshell.net/faq/#menu_folder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:18 am 

Btw here's the CLSID for "My Network Places" (Network Explorer): shell:::{F02C1A0D-BE21-4350-88B0-7367FC96EF3C}. You can add a Custom Command as Ivo linked to above by going to Customize Start Menu tab, specify shell:::{F02C1A0D-BE21-4350-88B0-7367FC96EF3C} in the Link field.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:23 am 

where do u get all these CLSID numbers anyway

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:45 am 

With a secret CLSID tool which won't be publicly released. But if you want the full list of what's relevant, see here: http://winaero.com/blog/the-most-compre ... windows-8/

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:02 am 

oh ya right, a "secret" tool huh...

u got that from the list.. i just know it

a secret CLSID tool.. u had me going for a minute..

cant imagine the kind of havoc that would be reeked if something like that ever got out in the open

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:59 am 

Actually, that list was generated using that internal tool. But it shows many broken CLSIDs in the registry. The list is filtered to show only the ones that work or are relevant. :)

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:35 pm 

Oh this is awesome.. puts it in sub menus too for all the computers for quicker access. Tho it lags up... maybe cause its trying to scan the folders access? Idk, but Thanks. =D This works great! I am surprised its not in that list by default? I will say this. This Class Shell has made my life much more fun for Windows 8. Hell.. I like the fact I can customize it all I want too. Makes me almost wish I could use it on WinXP lol

Edit: Hrm.. still lagged up, then if I click start menu again, its acting like its "not responding". Havent been able to open my network folders yet.

Edit 2: Ok fixed it by using "Dont Expand" option, so this way it didnt try to put the folders and files in the sub menus paths.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:33 am 

That's right. Don't Expand should be checked because every time "Network" is accessed, Windows tries to refresh the computer list, hence the lag. :)

Compare Start Menus