It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:42 am 

recent programs seem to me to be about time.. most recent to least recent seems the only way they could be sorted, otherwise the list wouldnt be a list of recent items, but a random list of things that you've used before, with some of the top items having been used a very long time ago

it would seem that such a list would not be a recent items list

personally, I Pin every program I might want to re-access frequently to my start menu, then sort that alphabetically.. thats a much easier way to work

what I would like is a multiple-column pinned program list.. rather than a scrolling one.. is this possible???

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:54 am 

honestly, multiple columns "all programs" is pretty useless, imo... you just go to a big unruly list of folders filled with countless junk anyway

isnt it WAY better to just pin everything you need or want to use right to the start menu? and do away with folders and links to programs & extras you dont need and never use?

but i cant find a way to create multiple columns..

its highest on my list of wished for features

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:49 am 

I had a similar idea in mind few days ago and created this mock-up. :mrgreen: Basically, enable n-number of columns till then fit on the screen. Then the user can have 1 and 1/2 column for Pinned programs and the half for Recent shortcut. Or dedicate 2 columns for Recent. Any way he wants.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:02 pm 

how do you enable n Number of columns? all i see is "use multiple columns" but they still scroll...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:05 pm 

oh, i see.. thats an image of what it might look like if we could do it, right?

i think thats awesome!..

i use small icons, and I can only show 39 icons before it needs to scroll

but i'd like to put links to every program I use on there, which is like every program on my computer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:10 am 

in my Classic Start Menu settings, on the 'Customize Start Menu' tab, in the left column, at the top, I have the following, in order from the top:

Column_Padding
CustomItem6
Programs Menu
AppsMenu
SearchBoxItem
COLUMN_BREAK
FavoritesItem

and on my start menu, Favorites is the first item (topmost) in the Right column

the Search Box is the bottom-most Item in the left column

Above my Search box, is the dreaded "Programs" fly out menu

and above that is Recent Programs

and above that is a scrolling list of Pinned Items, with nothing above that (Pinned items are at the very top of the left column)

so, my question is this:

Why is the programs menu below the apps menu, on the start menu, when the apps menu is the recent programs, and is clearly above the programs menu in the settings dialog box

and what is "CustomItem6" is that something i made on accident? its totally blank when you try to Edit the Item

and why does there seem to be nothing relating to "Pinned Items" there? Pinned Items should really be where CustomItem6 is, and it should stand to reason that it should also be somehow editable

any ideas? thanks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:30 am 

Classic Shell's Start Menu does not have the concept of true pinning. It just shows the contents of the two Start Menu folders at %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu and C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu, just like the Windows single-column classic menu did. These are called "Fast Items" by Microsoft. Not having pinning is better because they can be easily backed up and restored and you can just open any of these folders and create/paste shortcuts there. Microsoft claims many programs abused that area to put their own shortcut there so they moved that area inside All Programs starting with the Windows XP Start Menu.

Classic Start Menu doesn't represent the pseudo-pinned programs area and "Recent Programs" in the menu editor.

CustomItem is probably something you accidentally added. Remove it by selecting it and pressing the Delete key on the Customize Start Menu tab.

Your order of Apps and Programs should be the same as it is on the Customize Start Menu tab. Do you have a screenshot showing order is different in the actual menu and on the Customize Start Menu tab?

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:32 am 
Site Admin

The AppsMenu item that you see in the settings is not for "pinned apps". It is for the Metro apps in Windows 8. You are most likely running Windows 7, so it's hidden for you.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:50 am 

oh, i see, that makes sense... im on 7 Ultimate x64

so recent documents and Pinned documents dont really exist as panels in the settings menu

its just the "Show Recent Programs" box

does the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs folder automatically get put down on the "programs" fly-out button, right above search, or is that from somewhere else?

anyway, i like the idea of just assigning the number of columns, then fill them with whatever we want, allowing overflow from one column to the next

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:07 pm 

Gaurav,

I really like your solution with the multiple columns. Hope we get to see it some day.