It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:28 pm 

I have a triple monitor setup and I was curious if there is a way to move the start menu to the center monitor instead of the left most monitor?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:49 pm 
Site Admin

What version of Windows are you using?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:49 pm 

im guessing you have windows 7?, right click desktop, go to screen resolution.... and make your center monitor the primary display, that will move the taskbar and the start button to that display

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:12 pm 

Ivo wrote:
What version of Windows are you using?

Windows 8

I have my desktop stretched across all 3 monitors. The task bar is on the center monitor but when I click the start button the start menu appears all the way to left on the left most monitor.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:52 pm 
Site Admin

You have 2 options:
1) Move the primary taskbar to the center monitor. The primary taskbar is the one where the clock and the pinned applications show up.
2) Enable the start button for every taskbar. This way you will get 3 buttons. You enable that from the Start Button tab in the settings.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:55 pm 

Ivo wrote:
You have 2 options:
1) Move the primary taskbar to the center monitor. The primary taskbar is the one where the clock and the pinned applications show up.
2) Enable the start button for every taskbar. This way you will get 3 buttons. You enable that from the Start Button tab in the settings.

I have done both steps and that did not fix the problem.

Here is a picture of what I am talking about

as you can see the task bar is the center but once you click the start button the start menu appears on the left most screen. The screen resolution is 5888x1080 (bezel compensation setup under the AMD vision control center). What I want is the start menu to appear right above the start button.

Thanks again for your help, the addition of the start button is much needed for windows 8.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:03 pm 
Site Admin

The start menu should appear on the same monitor as the start button. Unfortunately I don't have 3 monitors to test this exact setup.

One weird thing I see is that there's a gap to the left of the start button. I don't see exactly what it is at this resolution. It may be what is throwing off the start menu.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:17 pm 

I turned off the bezel compensation under the AMD vision control center so the resolution was 5760x1080 and the problem is still there.

If I change my desktop to have 3 monitors at 1920x1080 each the problem is fixed. The start menu appears where it should. Change it back to 5760x1080 resolution and the problem is back.

I should also add that this is a eyefinity display.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:54 pm 
Site Admin

I don't think I understand. What is the difference between having 3 monitors at 1920x1080 and a desktop at 5760x1080?
I'm also not familiar with eyefinity displays.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:56 pm 

what happens if you right click taskbar and select properties and check show taskbar on all displays
does this atleast give you 3 start buttons that open on the same screen as the button?

its not a true fix, but it might help as a temporary fix (or if you end up liking taskbars on all displays)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:20 am 

AFAIK eyefinity is for spanned resolutions - one large desktop stretched across multiple displays - different from multiple displays each with their own desktop and different resolution/refresh rate. There is also a hybrid span mode in eyefinity where multiple GPUs can create a single frame buffer across multiple monitors.

Which one is gregsxtreme using? multi GPU or single CPU? Can the Windows 8 taskbar stretch to three monitors too? gregsxtreme's screenshot shows it doesn't seem to be possible. Can you configure on how the taskbar appears in spanned mode?

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:11 am 

GauravK wrote:
AFAIK eyefinity is for spanned resolutions - one large desktop stretched across multiple displays - different from multiple displays each with their own desktop and different resolution/refresh rate. There is also a hybrid span mode in eyefinity where multiple GPUs can create a single frame buffer across multiple monitors.

Which one is gregsxtreme using? multi GPU or single CPU? Can the Windows 8 taskbar stretch to three monitors too? gregsxtreme's screenshot shows it doesn't seem to be possible. Can you configure on how the taskbar appears in spanned mode?

Thanks for your help so far guys, I am using one single 7970. I believe i can stretch the task bar across all 3 screens ( i am at work now :D), but if I can that will place the start button on the left which is not where I want it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:31 am 

the difference is simply how its coded, with eyefinity if you open a fullscreen app it will stretch across all the screens, or if you maximize a window it will stretch across all screens
the taskbar should stretch across all, unless amd does something specific to prevent this from happening..
basically the computer thinks theres only 1 screen, except at the lower levels...

btw does anyone know a program that can do the reverse of what eyefinity does (i want 3 virtual screens on 2 actual screens)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:14 am 

sweet....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:47 am 

Tenzen wrote:
sweet....

I was waiting for a comment about my background :lol: I am not a avid follower of the Star Wars series but I do enjoy watching them whenever they are on TV (but i do have the blu ray box set :D)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:18 pm 

no room for modesty when it comes to Star Wars...

i saw Empire Strikes Back in the Drive-in Opening Weekend.. sure I was so young I could barely remember it, But I remember how awesome a 40-foot tall storm trooper & Imperial Walkers look out in the desert night sky...

I like the main 6 movies & the Cartoon Network's Clone Wars Computer Animation Series, i love that.. and the Jedi Knight I, II, & III games, & KOTOR, and now SWTOR is out, but havent played that yet, mainly due to location restrictions

even the Force Unleashed I & II weren't half bad..

but i Like your backgrounds.. post the full resolutions ones for us.. and make more Star Wars backgrounds..

if you get around to a Star Wars Start Menu Skin, or an entire Star Wars Theme, post it up here

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:23 pm 

No fix or help with this yet? I'm doing the same thing. Eyefinity with 3 monitors on Win 8. Task bar is set to the middle monitor but the start menu is on the far left monitor. I was talking with the guy that makes vi start and he's fixed it. I don't like the way the button and other things are implemented with VI Start so I'm sticking with classic shell. He mentioned it has something to do with the start menu being coded to appear on the far left screen edge (don't quote me here). When you make an eyefinity display group you make 3 monitors in effect 1 big monitor so Windows throws the start menu on the far left of the left hand screen.

I'm hoping that Windows 8.1 fixes this 3 monitor issue since they are bringing the start button back. I can report back here soon, I'll be installing the 8.1 preview in the next couple days.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:46 am 

Ivo, i have a similar setup, and am able to reproduce the bug with 2 monitors :P

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:32 am 
Site Admin

What exactly is the setup with 2 monitors that reproduces this issue?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:43 am 

right click open catalyst control center

in the 'AMD Eyefinity Multi display' tab click create eyefinity display group
select 2x1
now in the same tab select 'position windows taskbar' then check 'Position the windows taskbar on a single display
now drag your taskbar to your right monitor (left one works fine)
now hit the start button; the menu displays on the far right of the screen for me (not next to the start button)

My Setup: windows 8, 2 monitors, 1920x1080 displays

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:52 am 
Site Admin

Hm, that can be a problem. I have an Nvidia card. I can make a test build that will log certain information on your machine to let me engineer a fix. But it won't be any time soon. At the moment I have other priorities.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:22 pm 

yea i figured you did with 8.1 and all, and sure ill run it whenever your ready :P

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:26 pm 

Is there any status update on this bug? I know eyefinity and NVidia surround folks are in the minority, but I would be very appreciative if this bug could be sorted out.

I have Nvidia cards so I'd be willing to test whatever fixes are necessary.

Basically while in Surround mode, my system sees my triple screens as 1 large display. The Nvidia drivers have a feature to center the taskbar in the middle screen rather than span it across all three. Classic Shell draws the button in the correct spot, but it does not draw the actual menu - as shown in the screenshots above.

If there's a possibility to enable some sort of "anchor" so that the menu is tied to the same X/Y vales as the button, that might work. It could even be implemented as an experimental thing.

Any case I would be happy to donate to this project in the hopes that this feature/bug could be looked at. Thanks for all the work you've done!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:19 pm 

peanutlasko wrote:
Basically while in Surround mode, my system sees my triple screens as 1 large display. The Nvidia drivers have a feature to center the taskbar in the middle screen rather than span it across all three. Classic Shell draws the button in the correct spot, but it does not draw the actual menu - as shown in the screenshots above.
I can confirm the bug under the same circumstances, using ATI Eyefinity, so it's not just an Nvidia issue. Hopefully it's an easy fix. I don't want to have to span the taskbar across all three monitors! Anchoring the start menu to the start button position seems like a good idea. CSM Beta 3.9.1, Windows 8, triple screen Eyefinity.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:23 am 
Site Admin

Try the latest beta 3.9.3.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:24 pm 

I can confirm it is working now - thanks so much!