It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

Post subject: Classic Start Menu Chaos
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:28 pm 

On a 32-bit Win7sp1 laptop that I am trying to set up for someone else, I am having ENORMOUS problems arranging the 4.0.4 Classic Start Menu to be usable. On my own laptop, long ago I knew the following:

1) How to shrink the icons in the initial left column, so that that there is more vertical room between each item. Now I can't remember how to do that, and I can't find the answer anywhere.

2) Long ago (back in Classic Start Menu 3.x.x days on my computer), I knew how to drag a folder from Column2 to Column1. I probably also knew how to create a new Column1 folder (of my own invention) into which I could drag something from Column2.

I am now using 4.0.4, but when I upgraded from version 3.x, gradually to 4.0.4, I don't think I had to drag much stuff around because the upgrades didn't mess up the start menu. So I have forgotten what I once knew.

On the computer I am setting up for someone else, now when I drag something that looks like a folder to me from the second column to the first column, I get a new label that says that the folder I have just dragged is a shortcut. And the original column 2 folder that I tried to drag into column 1 (but instead created a short cut) remains in its original column 2 location.

Please Note: I am NOT writing about columns in the Customize tab of a Settings table. I am writing about moving things around within a Classic Start Menu, at the left edge of the computer window.

I would very much appreciate any comments, suggestions, or specific help. I have spent almost an entire day trying to re-organize the initially quite messy Start Menu that version 4.0.4 created.

Cordially, but desperately, R.N. (Roger) Folsom

================================================================

P.S. Since my message above, I have discovered that right-clicking any item above Programs in Column1 generates a menu that includes a New Folder setting. And it is possible to continue doing that and creating a lot of customized New Folders with different names.
Then it is possible to drag folders (and their contents) that initially are subfolders in Programs into one of the newly created folders.
(I have done that once, moving the ClipMate folder (a subfolder of Programs) into a newly created 0 Accessories folder, so that the ClipMate folder was a subfolder of 0 Accessories. But dragging a Program subfolder onto the Start Menu Column1 doesn't work.)
Therefore, many items that are in a Program folder have to be dragged one-by-one into one of the Column1 New Folders.
If I discover any additional information about this, I will post it here.
I still don't know to shrink the icons in the initial left column.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:09 am 
Site Admin

If you set "Pinned Programs folder" to "Use Start Menu folder" then if you drag a folder onto the first column you will get an expandable shortcut to that folder (instead of a plain shortcut).

Change the "Small icon size" and "Large icon size" values in the "Menu Look" tab to control the size of the icons.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:09 am 

Ivo: Here is a much delayed Thank You.

R.N. (Roger) Folsom