It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:48 am 

I am running a Genuine Windows 8 on an Acer Aspire S5-391 laptop (ELAN touchpad). It is straight from the store, yesterday.

I installed Classic Shell 4.0.0 without problems. I have Start button enabled.
In Settings I just clicked "Show all", then "Windows 8 Settings" -> Disable hot corners: All

The only hot corner I can see that it disables is the bottom Left one, i.e. the one that would bring up the small thumbnail over the start button. So this corner does seem disabled.

But I want the RIGHT hot corners (the massive Charms bar and gargantuan left-side clock) to die. But it is still there, and I can see in Classic Shells Settings under Windows 8 that the checkbox for Disable: All is still there after reboot, so it has not lost its settings.

I have tried this running both Acers standard theme and a Classic theme downloaded from Deviantart, there is no difference. The Charms Bar continues to be there when I Right-Swipe (Right-to-Left motion).

When I right-click This Computer icon, it says I am running Windows 8. Since I have a genuine windows I guess I could click on the link that upgrades to 8.1 if this would help me in getting Classic Shell to disable the Charms Bar.

I will provide any screenshots or other help that I can. I really need to know if I can get this to work or if I should just install Windows 7.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:19 am 

Even if Classic Shell disables the charms for the mouse hot corners, Microsoft made it so that the charms still get activated via touchpad gestures. Even worse, the touchpad gesture settings are controlled by the touchpad drivers, not something that are systemwide. Check in your Mouse Control panel or anything related to Touchpad drivers which loads at startup. It may have an option to disable swipe gestures for the touchpad.

Here are two common touchpad vendors' control panels (integrated with the Windows mouse control panel)

You can also try Skip Metro Suite: http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.103 which kills the Charms hidden window everywhere including inside the Modern UI.

On Windows 8.1, you can try Winaero Charms Killer: http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.219 instead of Skip Metro Suite.

Third party software recommendations are only for your convenience. Classic Shell bears responsibiliy for them.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:14 am 

Amazing, I didn't know Microsoft hardwired the Charms bar gestures into the touchpad. But this does kind of make sense. Microsoft just wants Charms bar to work as well as possible.

Your information has worked for me, as soon as I saw your pictures I remembered using such touchpas settings on a laptop ages ago.
I thank you for taking the time to help me, and in return I will now give the exact sequence of settings for any Classic Shell users trying to find these on an Acer ASpire S5-391 running Windows 8 (ELAN touchpad).

1. Press Windows+R to bring up the "Run field"
2. In the Run field, type: Control Panel
3. Menu "Control Panel" appears with 8 icons
4. Click the name "Hardware and Sound"
5. The menu changes shape into a two column style
6. Left-click on the word "Mouse" found under "Hardware and Sound"
7. Menu "Properties for Mouse" appears with 6 Tabs
8. Click on the right-most Tab claaed "ELAN"
9. On this Tab, click the button "Preferences..."
10. Menu "Elan Smart-Pad" appears with 3 Tabs

Here you can change in detail any swipings you don't want. In my case I stayed on the first Tab called "One-finger" and left-clicked the bottom of 4 pictures "Corner swipe". And here I simply UNchecked the check box "Activate", leaving it empty. Then I clicked "Apply".

Immediately after the Right swipe (Right-to-Left motion) produced no more Charms Bar, simply the mouse curser travelled across the Desktop. Just like I want it.

Note that there are many more settings in this "Elan Smart-Pad" menu that I did not explore, there are ways of changing how clicks and click-n-drag are handled. As well as multi-finger operations (zooming) and Sensitivity.

Thanks again, GauravK, for explaining how Microsoft has wired the gestures into the hardware. This topic has been resolved. :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:37 am 

I don't have the Elan tab in my mouse properties. I have disabled the 4 corners, but like above, the side bar and large annoying clock still popup!
I have an ASUS laptop, no swipescreen, just the mousepad

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:46 am 

This might help: http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-disable- ... windows-8/ It includes instructions for ASUS touchpads.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.