It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:13 am 

Hello, please tell me, it is possible to add space between items?

Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:03 am 

By add space, do you mean increase the space in general between each item or do you want to insert an empty space/separator so the items look like a group? Increasing the space between each item is possible in the left column of the two column main menu since it is the Frequently used programs list. Inserting a blank/empty separator is possible for the second column of the main menu since those are all menu items, not frequent programs.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:08 am 

GauravK wrote:
By add space, do you mean increase the space in general between each item or do you want to insert an empty space/separator so the items look like a group? Increasing the space between each item is possible in the left column of the two column main menu since it is the Frequently used programs list. Inserting a blank/empty separator is possible for the second column of the main menu since those are all menu items, not frequent programs.

This is how I want it

This is StartIsBack.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:50 am 

I don't understand, I can increase the space only in two columns classic skin and not in skin7? Please help me, the skin is almost finished.

--edit--

So, I'm able to add space between items in 'Frequently used programs list'. The question is, how?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:44 am 
Site Admin

You cannot add space between items, in a sense that when the mouse leaves one item it enters the next. You can make the items appear visually smaller than they are if you add blank border around the selection bitmap.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:32 am 

Btw, you can increase the padding between icons even if you can't add a space.

Open the skin you want in Resource Hacker. For classic with two columns style, open .skin. For Windows 7 style, open .skin7.

For the left column, the value to be added/changed is Main_icon_padding=x,x,x,x (the 2nd and 4th numbers are for top and bottom, the 1st and 3rd are for left and right padding).

For the right column, use the value Main2_icon_padding.

Although visually, it won't give you what you asked for in the screenshot.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:00 pm 

To bad I can't add space between them. Thank you anyway guys, I will post the skin very soon.