It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:31 pm 

CS has been working fine for the last week. Booting right into the desktop and bypassing the Metro. Today some updates were automatically done to my Windows 8 OS. Now, Classic Shell is NOT getting past the Metro screen. I always have to click on the Desktop Metro block. Checked the settings and CS is set to bypass Metro, but it is not doing that. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:37 pm 
Site Admin

If I have time this weekend I will update my Windows 8 and see.
Do you use 32-bit or 64-bit? Do you automatically log in or do you type a password?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:10 pm 

Yeah lots of users are reporting this. Over time, it just stops skipping the Start screen. Best solution is combination of UserInit and service, as Task Scheduler will also start it delayed even if you reduce the startup delay using this reg tweak: http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-reduce-t ... windows-8/ . Since installing a service may also not be acceptable to some users, it should in fact be an option during installation, which if unchecked, adds Classic Start Menu only to the UserInit key.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:23 am 
Site Admin

I am not convinced it is a delay in the service. Is there a start button if you click on the Desktop tile quickly after login?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:00 am 

Yes it is there nearly immediately on my laptop. You cant actually click it though for a bit because it doesn't seem that it is fully loaded.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:12 am 

I would be happy to help you work through this, if I am needed. I am running Win8, 64 bit. I do not login with a password. It should go directly through to the screen.

This morning's boot:
Started the loading by Bios -> Spin up start image -> My Username image displayed -> automatically went to Metro Start screen only.
Waited patiently for CS desktop to start without my intervention. No Joy.
Clicked on desktop Metro box to get there.

CS settings:
Style -> Windows Vista/7
Windows & Settings -> Skip Metro ticked; Disable active corners -> None
Customize Start Menu -> No Customization on my part; 'All Settings' ticked lower box

If you want me to reset anythings, please let me know. I like CS and would like to keep it working well.

Task Manager AutoStart programs enabled on boot:
Windows Command Processor - for the Conhost
Java Update Scheduler
Itype for my typewriter special keys
Ipoint for the mouse special attributes
Avast Antivirus

All others are disabled. Would be glad to disable any that you think might cause a conflict. Maybe I am wrong, but shouldn't Classic Shell be in that autostartup list in Task Manager?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:45 am 

Ivo wrote:
I am not convinced it is a delay in the service. Is there a start button if you click on the Desktop tile quickly after login?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Depends on how fast I do it. Immediately = No.

Here is an interesting piece to the puzzle. If I do a restart, I got the 4 pane windows start symbol (which I did not get on cold boot) and the machine boots into the desktop with no stalls or problems. Did another restart, good again. Then, did a cold boot and guess what? Booted right into the CS desktop (with the 4 pane window first).

Will keep you updated, but it seems like it is an intermittent problem that might be caused by some 'very narrow specifics'. Something that does not happen often, but when it does, it effects the menu. Weird.

Hope this helps you.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:33 pm 
Site Admin

See if creating a scheduler task to run ClassicStartMenu.exe on login fixes this. Here's how you create a scheduler task: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/67 ... p-log.html

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:51 pm 

It may have been a program that I loaded, that in turn loaded two conhost.exe and one command job in order to complete. I removed them today because of concerns of their vulnerability. Now, everything seems to be loading okay. This was a Windows 7 legacy program for AMD Control Center.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:01 pm 

So I'm not the only one, just this morning it started doing this to me. I turned on my laptop and that Metro page came up and froze. I manually restarted and it opened right to desktop. Then after work, I came home and the same thing happened, only this time when I restarted manually it came to the Metro page again and I had to quickly click on Desktop before it decided to freeze up again. Then my laptop was making all kinda of noise like it was having some issue with working through all this so fast, even my task manager was sluggish. It finally calmed down, but I dunno what's going on. I've been getting alerts for Windows 8.1, but I haven't actually installed ANY updates in forever and I haven't noticed the computer processing anything automatically during shutdown or startup.