It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:34 pm 

The previous version of Classic Shell that I had was 3.6.8. In my Start Menu, I had a folder called Games, and it had three programs:

Chess Titans (Got the old version off of the internet)
Microsoft Solitaire Collection
Simple Solitaire

Since upgrading to Classic Shell 4.0.2, I can't place the Metro apps (both solitaire games) in to the same folder as Chess Titans. They both show up in the Apps folder of my Start Menu, yes. But I was trying to get things back to the way I had them before.

I know this was Microsoft's doing, as I had a hell of a time creating a desktop shortcut for the Metro Skype app on my friend's computer until I found a dedicated desktop version of the program. Dragging and dropping doesn't work, as it turns the app shortcuts in to a generic file called "App.lnk", as that is what all Metro apps are apparently named in their appropriate folders. Clicking on them to open doesn't work either.

Basically, I'm trying to put Metro apps and other programs in to the same folder in my Start Menu on my Windows 8 Desktop. Is there a fix for this, or is it that option gone forever?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:18 pm 
Site Admin

In version 4.0.2 there is a new setting "Hide app shortcuts", which is turned on by default. It will hide all Metro shortcuts outside of the main Apps folder. The reason for this setting is to remove the duplicated shortcuts in multiple places of the start menu. Uncheck it and you will be able to drag Metro apps to other folders.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:45 pm 

It worked for the desktop enabled program (Chess Titans) and a Metro app in one folder, but I can't put two Metro apps in the same folder still. Thanks for the help, though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:40 pm 

You can use this method: http://winaero.com/blog/exclusive-how-t ... rt-screen/ to create a shortcut to any Modern app. Then the shortcut you create using that method can be placed anywhere. You can copy-paste shortcuts to Metro Games in your Games folder.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:47 am 

Excellent! Thanks a lot, man!