It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

Post subject: Changes when updating
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:39 am 

I recently updated to 4.0.2 and found my style changed. Now I find only three options. Earlier there were more!
Can I have additional options? I may then be able to return to the one I am used to...

But: Classic Shell is a really good thing and it is needed!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:45 am 
Site Admin

You are probably talking about the skins. If you choose the Windows 7 style you get 3 skins. If you choose the Classic style you will get the old list with 7 skins.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:03 pm 

I have under "Start Menu Style" chosen "Classic with two columns" and find no skins for that, unless I go to "Skins", where there are no pictures. I would have to tediously try each and every one...
Earlier there was a choice of quite a few skins with images.
Where do I find that now?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:07 pm 
Site Admin

I disagree that trying all skins is "tedious". Select the first skin, press the Win key and you'll see it. Select the next (like press the down arrow), press the Win key to preview, and so on. You can try all skins in less than 10 seconds.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:29 pm 

@Hellocoders, because the settings dialog is live, you don't need to click OK to preview the skin. You can just pick a skin and press Cancel at the end if you don't wish to apply it.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:12 pm 

Well, first the Winkey trick doesn't work in my Win7 Ultimate. No image appears. But the way GauravK proposes does work.
Then one has to know this first ... from where?
Then marking "Right Click opens the Windows Context Menu" under Controls doesn't work either, but Holding Shift while left clicking the start button does work.
Right click did, however, work in the version I had before.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:15 pm 
Site Admin

The "Right Click opens the Windows Context Menu"setting controls if a right-click on the start menu will bring up the Classic Shell context menu (with Settings and Help) or the Windows context menu (with Properties and Explorer). Currently there is a bug on Windows 7 that breaks the Windows context menu. It shows up, but clicking on the items doesn't work. Is that what you mean?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:20 pm 

In my Windows right click opens no Windows Context menu at all.
See also additions in my previous post done through "Edit".

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:26 pm 
Site Admin

So you are saying that:
1) You have Windows 7
2) You have "Right Click opens the Windows Context Menu" checked
3) Right-click on the start button doesn't bring up the menu with "Properties" and "Open Windows Explorer"
Is that correct?

Are you using the default Windows start button or do you let Classic Shell replace it?

As for "Then one has to know this first, from where?", the Settings section in the help states that "Most settings will be changed immediately as you edit them. For example you can edit the start menu, then while the Settings dialog is open, access the start menu to see the changes"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:41 pm 

Well, right clicking brings up a small window with ==Classic Start Menu==, Windows Explorer, Open, Open All Users, etc., but not the original Windows start menu. But I may have misunderstood that that one should appear... It does, however, appear if I hold Start and left click.
And the Winkey trick doesn't work for me...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:06 am 
Site Admin

Are you sure "Right Click opens the Windows Context Menu" is checked? It basically flips the Shift key.

As for the Winkey, are you saying that pressing the Win key doesn't bring up the menu while the settings are open?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:32 am 

Well, sorry, I had unmarked it in the meantime.
When it is marked, a small window appears with: Directory Opus Archive [I have the file manager Directory Opus installed], Properties and Open Windows Explorer, but no original Wndows Start Menu.
Or do I have to restart the computer to have this change?
As before, holding down Shift and clicking right opens the Windows Start Menu.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:37 am 
Site Admin

Looks like Directory Opus takes over the context menu and inserts its own menu item. I bet you will get the same menu even without Classic Shell.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:59 am 

First: It was not like that with my earlier version of Classic Shell.
Then: I deactivated all autostart entries for Directory Opus with Autoruns and restarted the computer.
The only change is that Directory Opus disappeared in the little right-click Window that now only has: Properties and Open Windows Explorer, but no original Windows Start Menu – which, however, appears at left click holding Shift.
And the Winkey trick for showing skins still does not work. The other trick does.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:05 am 
Site Admin

Ah, I see. You are confusing the "Windows Context Menu" and the "Windows Start Menu". The context menu is the little menu with the two items. That's the one that the setting controls.

I suspect there is some misunderstanding about the Winkey as well. Describe what you are doing and what you expect to happen.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:32 am 

OK, but anyway, with the earlier version of Classic Shell, the original Windows Start Menu appeared at right-click. If I don’t remember wrongly.
I installed the new version over the earlier one. Or should I first have uninstalled it?
As for the Winkey, I click one of the skins and press that key. Then nothing happens.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:40 am 

I now discovered that under Controls I have tomark Windows Key opens Classic Start Menu.
So it doesn't come just like that ...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:53 am 
Site Admin

There has never been a Classic Shell version that opens any start menu on a right-click. The right-click is reserved for context menus.
As for the Windows key, by default it is set to open the classic menu. If yours doesn't, it is because you changed it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:46 am 

Whatever you say... It still is a great program!