It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:15 pm 

I've just put in Windows 8.1 and noticed something...

If I move my mouse along the top or bottom of the left or right monitor, it stops when it hits the corner. It doesn't smoothly flow to the other monitor. If it's a little bit away from the edge it goes across okay.

Is this typical / to be expected? I've disabled all the hot corners with ClassicShell, but it feels as though maybe Windows is still doing something to try to make it easier to land in a hot corner on a multi-monitor system. It would be nice to be able to disable that. I don't often slide the mouse across that way, but occasionally I do and it's irritating. It would be fantastic if this could be disabled by ClassicShell along with shutting off the corners.

Thanks for any experience or advice you can share.

By the way, this forum doesn't seem to work too well with IE11.

-Noel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:39 pm 

Yes this is the expected Windows 8/8.1 behavior. It restricts the mouse pointer from moving to the next monitor for a certain number of pixels from the top or bottom edge (I think it's 6 pixels by default). It is a tweakable registry value from 0 to 20 pixels. The string value 'MouseCornerClipLength' at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\ controls this.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:32 am 
Site Admin

What issues are you seeing with IE11?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:31 am 

When editing an older post, there are issues if you use Enter to insert lines or Backspace to delete some lines. By adding classicshell.net to IE's Compatibility View, the forum works correctly (press Alt+X in IE, Compatibility View settings, type classicshell.net and click Add). Or the forum's HTML header can specify the X-UA-Compatible tag so it works without the user having to add it to compatibility view. But then the home page gets screwed up if classicshell.net is added to Compatibility view.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:05 pm 

GauravK wrote:
Yes this is the expected Windows 8/8.1 behavior. It restricts the mouse pointer from moving to the next monitor for a certain number of pixels from the top or bottom edge (I think it's 6 pixels by default). It is a tweakable registry value from 0 to 20 pixels. The string value 'MouseCornerClipLength' at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\ controls this.

You are a savior, Gaurav. Thank you!

Ivo, I can barely get anything typed into the box here. The cursor keeps returning to the beginning of the line or to the beginning of the prior line. I haven't tried setting compatibility mode for this site yet, but it definitely is non-functional as is. Only by being persistent and opening what looks like a new text box can I get anything typed here.

-Noel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:07 pm 

Okay, I added classicshell.net to compatibility view.

Yes, this is MUCCCCCHHHHH better! Thanks again to Gaurav.

I like to think I keep on top of things, but Gaurav, you must be trying even harder. You seem to have all the really good answers before anyone else does!

-Noel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:29 pm 
Site Admin

I think the WYSIWYG editor that I use in this forum is not very good, even on IE10. It is old and no longer in development. I chose it because it was the only available option at the time.
If you disable it from your user preferences, does the default editor work well with IE11? I may just uninstall the WYSIWYG component.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:43 pm 

Just trying it now...

Seems to respond okay without classicshell.net being in the Compatibility View list.

Does this board use BBSCODE? Let's see...

Quote:
This would be quoted

An image should follow...

-Noel