It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:03 am 

Ivo .. .

I'm still on 3.6.8, I installed the latest v4
and you make it break all start menu orders. so I had to delete all files in the classic shell folder
in order to reinstall 3.6.8 & retrieve that order. if the order set in 3.6.8 isn't respected in future releases, I cannot install them
as I have too many icons & can't play with them by taking screenshots & replacing them each time there's an update.

& you haven't fixed the paltalk interference issue.

what I asked you was to pick a different command code for mouse hovering to open the startmenu .. .
because mouse hovering executes a command as if I was selecting it on my keyboard that makes me automatically mic-up in paltalk rooms
without consent mic jacking others because my mouse sometimes hovers on the start menu or I want to go there..

please use a different command. for now i'm stuck with 3.6.8 & can't change it until the menu orders are respected during updates.

thanks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:55 am 

User settings being lost between 3.6.8 and 4.0.0 should (hopefully) be a 1 time thing, that you wont have to deal with once you have migrated to 4.0 Though you can always choose to stay with your current version. And I agree it is a major pain to re-work your start menu, but atleast it is an opportunity to make it better than before. Also you may be able to take a backup xml file from 3.6.8 open it in a text editor, and copy much of the stuff to a backup.xml saved from 4.0 though I make no guarantees of stability, it should theoretically be fine for a majority of options.
(though this will only work for the classic/2 column styles)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:39 am 

delicacy is talking specifically about the menu sort order which was never saved to XML files, it was only stored in the registry and unfortunately isn't preserved. Customized menu items, menu settings and skin settings for built-in skins are all migrated. Saved XML settings files will also be imported correctly - that is supported. The sort order is the only thing that isn't migrated and is stored differently in the registry in 4.0.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:42 am 
Site Admin

The way the menu order is stored in the registry has changed to a better, but incompatible way. The old order cannot be preserved. For example in the new version the Programs menu can show the combined contents of the Programs and the Start Menu folders (that's 4 folders together). There is no way to migrate the old order that was only showing the 2 Programs folders. If this is a deal-breaker for you then I'd advise you to not upgrade.

As for the hover issue - I don't have this paltalk program and I don't understand why it gets activated. Unless paltalk gets hooked into the shell I don't see why it should be affected.
BTW, version 4 implements the hovering in a different way. If it still conflicts with paltalk, well, then don't use hover.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:39 pm 

Hmm, so you can actually use an older xml now?, I know that was something broken in the beta for a while hmph, good to know :P

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:14 pm 
Site Admin

Only some settings, like the menu items and the skins were broken during the beta. It is all fixed in 4.0.2.

Post subject:   Topic is solved
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:24 am 

"I don't have this paltalk program and I don't understand why it gets activated. Unless paltalk gets hooked into the shell I don't see why it should be affected.
BTW, version 4 implements the hovering in a different way"

csm was executing the "ctrl" key in the background .. .

The new architecture effectively fixed, thanks Ivo ))

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:04 am 
Site Admin

Are you saying paltalk activates on the Ctrl key? That's quite a common key to hook onto.