It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:18 pm 

My laptop OS is win 8, I use Mozilla Firefox as my browser, and Thunderbird for my email.
I miss the start-up screen of win 7 and the ease of finding things from win XP.
If I download and install "Classic Shell" does it automatically open up when I turn on my laptop as the start screen?
What happens to the win 8 Tiles Start Screen and the Desktop?
Will the install automatically be compatible with Firefox and Thunderbird?
My computer knowledge is just slightly more then basic, I see some issues people are having getting setup properly, do you think this download is good for me?
Thanks,
Terry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:45 pm 

Yes, it's exactly for users like you seeking familiarity and ease of use. :) Classic Shell is just a suite of 3 components to restore familiarity and the missing features which the Tiled screen lacks. If you install the Classic Start Menu (which is just a regular app, safe to install as it doesn't modify any system files), you will get a regular Start Menu like Windows 7 or XP. There are 2 other components - an addon for Windows Explorer to restore some features which were lost including a customizable toolbar and others, and an addon for Internet Explorer to restore page title and removed status bar features. All components are optional so you can choose during installation to only install the Start Menu.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:51 pm 

Yes it is compatible with firefox and thunderbird..
Classic shell will automatically run when you start your computer up, as in once you get to the desktop you will have a start button and start menu
and you can even skip the 'metro' screen altogether, with one of the options in classic shells settings
a lot of the issues on the forum are generally more advanced issues, and not typical for every day users (people are generally more likely to post if they are having a problem, than if everything is running smoothly)

And most importantly, if you decide you are unhappy with classic shell it can easily/safely be removed from the computer, by navigating to:
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features
(you can just select the above line, and paste it into an explorer window)
and finding 'classic Shell' then clicking Uninstall, and then clicking yes

at which point the computer will be just the way it was, after a restart

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:45 am 

I have been using "Classic Shell" since late 2012 with Win7 :)
Has been a life saver for me. An XP lover. :D

About to install "Classic Shell" onto my daughter's Win8 laptop (she has freaked at Win8 :cry: )
What were MS thinking when they released Win8 ?
What were we corporate users supposed to do when none of our PCs are touch screens ?
and how can I use a touch screen when eating a jumbo burger with the works?

Regards
"the bald one"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:28 pm 

"Kilmor" :)
I have responded to your PM
(This reply is to ensure you receive my response)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:52 pm 

Grayghost.... I feel the exact same way about what I've seen of Win 8, including how to remove finger smudges from a touch-screen... something I'll never get. :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:01 pm 

I've been using Classic Shell since I got my current computer 5-6 years ago with Win 7. Sooner or later I'll be getting a new pc with Win 8, and I won't like having my monitor full of those tiles. I just learned today that Win 8 has an option to let you use the Win 7 layout.

I'm delighted to know that CS runs on Win 8, but I'd like to know which part of Win 8 does it launch from? That is, will I still see ugly tiles with Classic Shell installed? And is CS accessed from the position of the old Start menu, or that series of buttons on the right side of the monitor?

Thanks.

GauravK wrote:
Yes, it's exactly for users like you seeking familiarity and ease of use. :) Classic Shell is just a suite of 3 components to restore familiarity and the missing features which the Tiled screen lacks. If you install the Classic Start Menu (which is just a regular app, safe to install as it doesn't modify any system files), you will get a regular Start Menu like Windows 7 or XP. There are 2 other components - an addon for Windows Explorer to restore some features which were lost including a customizable toolbar and others, and an addon for Internet Explorer to restore page title and removed status bar features. All components are optional so you can choose during installation to only install the Start Menu.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:12 pm 
Site Admin

Classic Shell shows the start button and the menu on the Desktop, just like with Windows 7.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:51 am 

Along with the Start window, or a blank desktop?

Menu?

Ivo wrote:
Classic Shell shows the start button and the menu on the Desktop, just like with Windows 7.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:53 am 
Site Admin

Along with the desktop, but it is not blank. It has whatever you put on it. Just like with Windows 7.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:29 am 

OK, thanks.

Ivo wrote:
Along with the desktop, but it is not blank. It has whatever you put on it. Just like with Windows 7.