It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:23 am 

Hi, as you can see I'm a new member of the site and a new user of Classic Shell.

Question: Can I disable "active/hot corners" when I'm running "metro" apps?

Ideas I have for future versions: If the answer to my question is "no", it would be great to see such an option!

While the corners are disabled while running a "metro" app, the first problem that comes to mind is; "how do i get to the desktop in a user friendly way?" My first thought is that you could leave the default bottom left corner active, but instead of going to the start screen, you go to the desktop!

The second problem that comes to mind is; "how do i manage my open metro apps without the left side bar active and showing which apps is running in the background?" My solution to this problem would be that the running metro apps would simply be put to the taskbar as any other desktop program. Every metro app seems to have a regular icon so there should'nt be a problem with metro apps on the task bar without icons, right?...
A third problem is that when you Close a metro app by swiping from the top the bottom, you go to the startscreen. I would like to see that you go directly to the desktop.

If my ideas and suggestions are possible to implement, it would mean that the startscreen would go away almost completely! But you would still have access to the awesome new "metro" apps available in the startmenu. Hence, you would get the best from both worlds, all the time!
Please give me some feedback on my ideas and help me with my question! Is this possible?

/frenchtoast

P.s. I've tried searching for an answer, but haven't found it. Guess I will get better with the search Engine over time... s.P

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:10 am 

You can use Winaero's Skip Metro Suite to kill hot corners in Metro apps too but why do you want to do that? The functionality they hide is designed for Metro apps.
On Windows 8.1, you can try Winaero Charms Killer: http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.219

Win+D will get you to the desktop from the Metro app using the keyboard.

Stardock's ModernMix gives Metro apps taskbar buttons.
Note that Classic Shell is not responsible for anything that may happen to your system from using the third party tools recommended here.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:31 pm 

GauravK wrote:
You can use Winaero's Skip Metro Suite to kill hot corners in Metro apps too but why do you want to do that? The functionality they hide is designed for Metro apps.

I guess you are right! The top right hot corner that gives you the search function etc. is quite useful. The "right-click" that brings up the bottom bar is also useful in some metro apps. The user would benefit from leaving these functions untouched.
GauravK wrote:
Win+D will get you to the desktop from the Metro app using the keyboard.
This is a good keyboard-combination, as you mentioned , but windows have always been an expert in also having a mouse option for almost everything and that could be the bottom left cornor. (But instead of going to the startscreen you go desktop ofc... since the idea is to get rid of the startscreen.)
GauravK wrote:
Stardock's ModernMix gives Metro apps taskbar buttons.
That is very useful! I love the idea to have the metro apps that are running in the background on the taskbar. SO much easier to keep track of what is running or not when every app or desktop-program is visible and easily accessed. But I would like to see Classic Shell with functions that gives the users the possibility of getting rid of the startscreen completely, but still be able to enjoy the greatness of metro apps. I do believe this would give a great competitive advantage in the market.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:54 am 

Just wait until the 17th of October 2013:

The biggest change for Desktop users in Windows 8.1 is the semi-return of the Start button and menu. The Start button is enabled by default, and takes the shape of a flat Windows flag in the bottom left corner (or elsewhere, if you move the taskbar). By default, clicking this button takes you to the Metro Start screen — which is still pretty useless for Desktop users. All is not lost, however: A new tab in the taskbar properties window (pictured) lets you configure the Start button to pop up the Metro Apps view instead.