It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:09 pm 

I did a restore of my computer yesterday and suddenly found the subject problem. I have checked all applicable settings (Win 7 and CS) and did all the troubleshooting that I could think of, but the only thing shown on status bar now is the number of items in a folder. It drives me nuts. Just wonder if anyone here knows how to fix the problem. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:13 pm 
Site Admin

Are you sure you are looking at the status bar, and not the details pane? Look for Status Bar in the View menu.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:17 pm 

Yes, it's the status bar I am looking at, not the details pane. It's just impossible to mistake one for the other. The status bar worked perfectly until I did the restore.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:30 am 
Site Admin

Try uninstalling Classic Shell, then rebooting, then installing again. It may be that its features got unregistered by the restore.
Your settings will be preserved.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:31 pm 

Those were the first things that I tried after spotting the problem. I also tried different versions of CS including the latest beta, disabling/re-enabling the free space/total size option in CS Explorer, and complete clean installation (that is wiping all traces of CS before reinstalling), but the free space/total file size info just didn't come back. Don't know what went wrong. I've been using CS for a couple of years now and this is the first time I have this problem.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:37 pm 
Site Admin

Is that the only feature of Classic Explorer that is not working for you? For example, do you see a toolbar, do you see the Up button in the title bar, can you successfully change the style of the navigation pane?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:56 pm 

Everything else works like a charm, which makes the problem all the more weird. Maybe I need to do another restore to a point of time when everything was all right.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:58 pm 
Site Admin

Select 2 files in some folder, and show me a screenshot of Explorer.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:45 pm 

The screenshot is attached herewith. Thanks.

Attachments:
Win7.Explorer.Screenshot.gif
Win7.Explorer.Screenshot.gif [ 29.48 KiB | Viewed 36693 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:07 pm 
Site Admin

That's weird. I have not seen this before.
Try few other Classic Explorer features. See if you can show the Up button and if you can disable the breadcrumbs.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:13 am 

I did what you suggested and more and found out that I can't disable breadcrumbs or hide the search box. As for the Up button, I don't know if we are talking about the same thing. It only shows up on the tool bar as shown on the screenshot I uploaded, but not before or after the Back/Forward button on the address bar.

Since the status bar info is the only feature of interest to me from Classic Explorer and I have already tweaked my heart out on all other areas such as auto-hiding the Explorer command bar, moving the preview panel to the bottom, and reducing line spacing in the right file panel to XP level, etc., I have decided to remove the Classic Explorer and move on now that the status bar is not working. I hope the problem will be resolved one way or another in future releases.

Last edited by antaeus on Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:18 am 
Site Admin

Looks like the "ExplorerBHO Class" addon is not enabled (but "Classic Explorer Bar" is). Double-check the addon settings in Internet Explorer: http://www.classicshell.net/faq/#explorer_toolbar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:21 pm 

Wow! It works. You are the man! Thanks a million.

The Classic Explorer add-on was somehow disabled in IE on my computer although I never touched it before or after I restored my computer which triggered the problem. Enabling it immediately put the genie back in the bottle!

Before I posted here for help, I went as far as to check the "enable third-party browser extensions" under Internet Options. But it never occurred to me that I needed to go one step further to check the add-on settings. I'm humbled.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:22 am 

I just ran into this issue where it didn't work after a re-install of my system.
Thank you for the information, it fixed it for me as well!

If it's on any use, I am running Windows 7 pro 64-bit.