It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:56 am 

I'm running Classic Shell 3.9.5 RC on a two monitors system set to skip Metro screen on boot. When I open the Windows Start Screen the first time (Shift+Win), it opens on my main monitor and I press Win+PageUp to move it to my second monitor.

If I work on my main monitor after the move, the Windows Start Screen closes and I have to press Shift+Win to re-open it and it is ok. The problem is that the Start Screen always open on the main monitor even if I have moved it to the second monitor before.

This was not the case with v3.9.3 beta nor with v3.6.8; the Start Screen always opened on the monitor it was the last time it was closed.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:57 am 
Site Admin

The start screen (and the start menu) open on the monitor with the mouse.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:11 am 

As Ivo said, the Start screen will open now starting with Classic Shell 3.9.5 RC on the monitor where the mouse pointer is. This adds predictability and control for the user to open the Start screen on the exact display he expects/wants.

In another related multimonitor change which Microsoft did in Windows 8.1 if you upgrade to it, Win+Page Up/Page Down got moved to Shift+Win+Left/Right so the same shortcut works now for both desktop and Modern apps.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:46 pm 

I prefer it in its current settings, though why not include a way to use the old method? even if through a registry option.

If only you had a way to detect which monitor is which, then a setting to 'always open metro on X, option would be feasible completely solving his problem?

Heres a potential idea for detecting screen order, since it seems you can only get a temporary ID that may change after a system restart.

1. when the classic shell first starts up, maybe you could use a 'couple pixel' start button in the bottom corner of each screen, each with a unique color combination:

then parse a screenshot to determine which monitor belongs where.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14110102/getting-screenshot-and-find-location-of-multiple-smaller-images-in-it-in-linux