It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:19 am 

Is it possible to open the Classic Shell start menu with the first item already selected (in my case, the power button)? I really do not appreciate giving three or more clicks to leave the workstation. AutoHotkey seems to be the way for me currently, but the menu class (ClassicShell.CMenuContainer) does not seem to be identified by Winkey remapping.

Any light?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:12 am 

If you are using Classic single column or Classic with two columns styles, you can turn the Shutdown sub-menu power actions into icon-only buttons in the main menu to save clicks. Like this:

Here are Shutdown icons: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ozkb9av08hnol5n/Icons.zip

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:47 pm 

I really appreciate your suggestion, Gaurav, even because that's what I'm currently using :D , but with other skin and icons. See in the photo that "menu 1" is the normal behavior of Win key, while "menu 2" is the behavior when using the following remapping with AutoHotkey:

#IfWinActive ahk_class ClassicShell.CMenuContainer
~LWin::
~RWin::
Sleep, 500
SendInput, {up}{right}{right}
Return
#IfWinActive

This code should limit the win+up+right+right combination to the Classic Start Menu, but it also affects other windows and system shortcuts. Does Classic Start Menu have other "classes" besides "ClassicShell.CMenuContainer" and am I using the wrong class?

[img] " />
https://www.datafilehost.com/d/743c5ca6

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:16 pm 

Problem solved with simple repositioning of lines of code. Anyone interested in opening this amazing Classic Shell menu with any pre-selected items, what worked for me is:

~LWin::
~RWin::
Sleep, 500
IfWinActive ahk_class ClassicShell.CMenuContainer
SendInput, {up}{right}{right} ;or a key combination of your choice
Return