It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:58 pm 

Hello,

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update just came out today so I'm going to see if this works on it. I'll be glad to post any issues and/or info I have for you on it here in case it winds up needing to be updated again :D .

Also if it does, feel free to take over this thread and re-purpose it for the update logs when they're made should you want to :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:08 pm 

Ok, got it installed.

So far everything "APPEARS" to be working fine. I'll be sure to keep you updated though in case I come across any issues :D.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:35 am 

Not working here, unfortunately...

Classic Shell v4.3.1 was working before FCU (1709). Following FCU install, the system reported Classic Shell was being updated, but the program appears stuck in a loop. The desktop flashes repeatedly, as if trying to start Classic Shell, but nothing is accessible. Reboot did not solve. The only way to recover was killing Classic Shell via Task Manager and uninstalling it. Reinstall did not solve the issue. Neither did removal via "Remove the broken installation left behind by Windows 10" utility and reinstall. Hoping someone has a fix, since I can't stand the standard Windows Start Menu...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:18 am 

That's likely the same issue I've seen others have when upgrading without uninstalling Classic Shell first. In many cases upgrading your system can and will break certain programs like these if they aren't removed first. I would strongly suggest going into the settings app and using the reset option to run a restore. That will basically do a fresh install of FCU and from there you can reinstall a fresh copy of Classic Shell 4.3.1

Make sure you choose the option that removes all of your personal files and settings or it will leave everything behind. Don't however, choose the option for recycling the PC. I'm not sure if that one will reinstall Windows so it's best to NOT use that option.

So far it is still working flawlessly for me. I installed it 'after' upgrading to FCU in order to avoid the possibility of that issue.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:44 am 

Norton wrote:
Not working here, unfortunately...

Classic Shell v4.3.1 was working before FCU (1709). Following FCU install, the system reported Classic Shell was being updated, but the program appears stuck in a loop. The desktop flashes repeatedly, as if trying to start Classic Shell, but nothing is accessible. Reboot did not solve. The only way to recover was killing Classic Shell via Task Manager and uninstalling it. Reinstall did not solve the issue. Neither did removal via "Remove the broken installation left behind by Windows 10" utility and reinstall. Hoping someone has a fix, since I can't stand the standard Windows Start Menu...

I am in the same boat as you. On my desktop I made the mistake of updating CS to 4.3.1 while I was still running 1703 and when I upgraded to 1709 it no longer worked. On my other 3 desktops I left them on 4.3.0 and when they upgraded CS still works normally so there's definitely something in the latest version that conflicts with 1709. I uninstalled and went all the way back to 4.2.7 and nothing changed. I might even try 4.2.5 and see what happens but I don't expect for anything to change. I wonder what the differences are between 4.3.0 and .1 that would cause this to happen?

Edit: I got it to work by running the installer as an admin and allowing it to install into its default directory. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:38 pm 

Nimbi wrote:
That's likely the same issue I've seen others have when upgrading without uninstalling Classic Shell first. In many cases upgrading your system can and will break certain programs like these if they aren't removed first. I would strongly suggest going into the settings app and using the reset option to run a restore. That will basically do a fresh install of FCU and from there you can reinstall a fresh copy of Classic Shell 4.3.1

Make sure you choose the option that removes all of your personal files and settings or it will leave everything behind. Don't however, choose the option for recycling the PC. I'm not sure if that one will reinstall Windows so it's best to NOT use that option.

So far it is still working flawlessly for me. I installed it 'after' upgrading to FCU in order to avoid the possibility of that issue.

I appreciate the suggestion, but that's a lot of ass-pain we should not have to endure - I have no desire to re-install all my other apps and settings.

Puffnstuff wrote:
Edit: I got it to work but I ran it as admin and allowed it to install into its default directory. It immediately started running again so yes it works. :mrgreen:

You got my hopes up, but this did not work for me with 4.3.0 or 4.3.1. What is its "default directory," BTW?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:10 pm 
Site Admin

Looks like your explorer is crashing. There are countless of reasons for crashes to happen. You need to provide a crash dump to investigate.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:41 pm 

Ivo wrote:
Looks like your explorer is crashing. There are countless of reasons for crashes to happen. You need to provide a crash dump to investigate.

I agree with your assessment that Explorer is crashing, but not your "countless of reasons for crashes to happen." For several of us, the crashes happen when CS is installed with Windows 10 FCU and stop when CS in uninstalled. The reason is a bad interaction between CS and Windows 10 FCU. Please provide instructions for obtaining and submitting the "crash dump" required to investigate.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:26 pm 

His statement never said it wasn't classic shell. there are many reasons for classic shell to be causing an issue, as-well as many reasons outside of it. Any time a new version of windows is created, anything that gets down into the roots of the OS will likely have some bugs for some users. (especially without a clean install)

Personally classic shell has been flawless since Fall update, however I have had an issue with 'X-button: mouse control' causing my cursor to lag greatly when shift/ctrl/alt keys are being held down. (fixed with a reinstall) and another where 'heroes of the storm' (dx11 game) freezes my entire computer when i try to minimize while in fullscreen(window) which i have yet to resolve.

As for crashdumps: here ya go :P viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:11 pm 

.DMP files uploaded to MediaFire drop folder.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:46 am 

I'm having the same problem. After FCU updated my system, the display keeps flashing as it moves between the FCU Windows shell, and Classic Shell. I used the classic shell utility to get a log file. Would it be helpful to post it, or are you already aware of the issue?

I'd like to help resolve this, as the shell that comes with Windows 8/8.1/10 was THE major reason I delayed getting into these versions of windows when they were available, and now I'm stuck with 'em again.

TIA;
Patrick

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:24 am 

@PatrickMcHargue, have you tried using the Classic Shell Utility to remove it completely including your Settings and then clean installing?

Because of the way Windows 10 is serviced and updated, it routinely creates crashing issues for Explorer because Microsoft's upgrade process is imperfect even after years of trying and cannot even properly migrate desktop app settings after the upgrade - it ends up deleting certain configuration in the Registry. On a clean install of Windows 10's latest release, Classic Shell works. But often when in-place upgrades are done, Windows Setup damages it or causes serious issues due to their imperfect update process causing a partially installed state where Classic Shell crashes Explorer. I recommend you to stay with Windows 7 or 8.1 if you want to use Classic Shell.

You could capture a crash dump as per these instructions: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6 but there are so many instability issues in general with Windows 10 that it is always going to give you problems. It's not a good, well-engineered system.

Another thing you can try is download the Classic Shell Utility from here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/3uker ... tility.exe and use it to clean all traces of Classic Shell from your existing installation, including all settings. Then try a clean install of the newest version.

However we cannot guarantee it won't crash or break again because Microsoft designed Windows 10 to routinely break desktop apps that integrate deeply with the system.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:24 pm 

Gaurav wrote:
@PatrickMcHargue, have you tried using the Classic Shell Utility to remove it completely including your Settings and then clean installing?

I ran, "ClassicShellUtility.exe", checked all the boxes at the bottom to remove everything.

Rebooted.

After the reboot completed, I ran, "ClassicShellSetup_4_3_1.exe" as administrator, and followed all defaults. When the install completed, the UI started flashing back & forth between classic shell, and the (shudder) window's default shell. I ran, "ClassicShellUtility.exe", again with all the boxes checked to remove everything.

Here's "ClassicShellReport.txt" from the first uninstall.
-----
Classic Shell Utility - removing Classic Shell from the system

Deleting registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{ECD4FC4D-521C-11D0-B792-00A0C90312E1}\TreatAs
Deleting registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Launcher.ImmersiveApplication\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers\StartMenuExt
Deleting registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Launcher.SystemSettings\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers\StartMenuExt
Deleting registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\ClassicExplorer.DLL
Deleting registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\ClassicIE.DLL
Deleting registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\StartMenuHelper.DLL
Deleting registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\{62D2FBE4-89F7-48A5-A35F-DA2B8A3C54B7}
Deleting registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\{65843E27-A491-429F-84A0-30A947E20F92}
Deleting registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\{DF3255F4-FF55-44FA-A728-E77B83E9E403}
Deleting registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\DragDropHandlers\ClassicCopyExt
Deleting registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\DragDropHandlers\ClassicCopyExt
Deleting registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\StartMenuExt
Deleting registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\StartMenuExt
Deleting registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\DragDropHandlers\ClassicCopyExt
Deleting registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\StartMenuExt
Deleting registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ClassicExplorer.ClassicCopyExt
Deleting registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ClassicExplorer.ClassicCopyExt.1
Deleting registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ClassicExplorer.ExplorerBHO
Deleting registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ClassicExplorer.ExplorerBHO.1
Deleting registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ClassicExplorer.ExplorerBand
Deleting registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ClassicExplorer.ExplorerBand.1
Deleting registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ClassicExplorer.ShareOverlay
Deleting registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ClassicExplorer.ShareOverlay.1
Deleting registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ClassicIE.ClassicIEBHO
Deleting registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ClassicIE.ClassicIEBHO.1
Deleting registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{449D0D6E-2412-4E61-B68F-1CB625CD9E52}
Deleting registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{449D0D6E-2412-4E61-B68F-1CB625CD9E52}
Deleting registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{553891B7-A0D5-4526-BE18-D3CE461D6310}
Deleting registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{553891B7-A0D5-4526-BE18-D3CE461D6310}
Deleting registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{594D4122-1F87-41E2-96C7-825FB4796516}
Deleting registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{594D4122-1F87-41E2-96C7-825FB4796516}
Deleting registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{8C83ACB1-75C3-45D2-882C-EFA32333491C}
Deleting registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{8C83ACB1-75C3-45D2-882C-EFA32333491C}
Deleting registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{D3214FBB-3CA1-406A-B3E8-3EB7C393A15E}
Deleting registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{D3214FBB-3CA1-406A-B3E8-3EB7C393A15E}
Deleting registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{E595F05F-903F-4318-8B0A-7F633B520D2B}
Deleting registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{E595F05F-903F-4318-8B0A-7F633B520D2B}
Deleting registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions\{56753E59-AF1D-4FBA-9E15-31557124ADA2}
Deleting registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions\{56753E59-AF1D-4FBA-9E15-31557124ADA2}
Deleting registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{02E6771D-8375-42B9-9F83-B4730F697900}
Deleting registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{02E6771D-8375-42B9-9F83-B4730F697900}
Deleting registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{56753E59-AF1D-4FBA-9E15-31557124ADA2}
Deleting registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{56753E59-AF1D-4FBA-9E15-31557124ADA2}
Deleting registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{C0393554-9B48-458A-B91B-3F684D003B2F}
Deleting registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{C0393554-9B48-458A-B91B-3F684D003B2F}
Deleting registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{449D0D6E-2412-4E61-B68F-1CB625CD9E52}
Deleting registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{449D0D6E-2412-4E61-B68F-1CB625CD9E52}
Deleting registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{EA801577-E6AD-4BD5-8F71-4BE0154331A4}
Deleting registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{EA801577-E6AD-4BD5-8F71-4BE0154331A4}
Deleting registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers\ShareOverlay
Deleting registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers\ShareOverlay
Deleting registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IvoSoft\ClassicShell
Searching for installer registry key in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Features
Deleting registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Features\375ECBAC68A0AF245AA27CAE165DEB80
Searching for installer registry key in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products
Deleting registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\375ECBAC68A0AF245AA27CAE165DEB80
Searching for installer registry key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
Deleting registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{CABCE573-0A86-42FA-A52A-C7EA61D5BE08}
Deleting file C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\Skins\Classic Skin.skin
Deleting file C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\Skins\Classic Skin.skin7
Deleting file C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\Skins\Full Glass.skin
Deleting file C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\Skins\Metallic.skin7
Deleting file C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\Skins\Metro.skin
Deleting file C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\Skins\Metro.skin7
Deleting file C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\Skins\Midnight.skin7
Deleting file C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\Skins\Smoked Glass.skin
Deleting file C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\Skins\Windows 8.skin
Deleting file C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\Skins\Windows 8.skin7
Deleting file C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\Skins\Windows Aero.skin
Deleting file C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\Skins\Windows Aero.skin7
Deleting file C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\Skins\Windows Basic.skin
Deleting file C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\Skins\Windows XP Luna.skin
Deleting directory C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\Skins
Deleting file C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\ClassicExplorer32.dll
Deleting file C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\ClassicExplorer64.dll
Deleting file C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\ClassicExplorerSettings.exe
Deleting file C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\ClassicIEDLL_32.dll
Deleting file C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\ClassicIEDLL_64.dll
Deleting file C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\ClassicIE_32.exe
Deleting file C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\ClassicIE_64.exe
Deleting file C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\ClassicShell.chm
Deleting file C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\ClassicShellReadme.rtf
Deleting file C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\ClassicShellUpdate.exe
Deleting file C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\ClassicStartMenu.exe
Delay deleting file C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\ClassicStartMenu.exe
Deleting file C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\ClassicStartMenuDLL.dll
Delay deleting file C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\ClassicStartMenuDLL.dll
Deleting file C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\ExplorerL10N.ini
Deleting file C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\HISTORY.txt
Deleting file C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\IE Settings.lnk
Deleting file C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\PolicyDefinitions.zip
Deleting file C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\Start Menu Settings.lnk
Deleting file C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\Start Screen.lnk
Deleting file C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\StartMenuHelperL10N.ini
Deleting file C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\StartMenuL10N.ini
Delay deleting directory C:\Program Files\Classic Shell
Deleting file C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Classic Shell\Classic Explorer Settings.lnk
Deleting file C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Classic Shell\Classic IE Settings.lnk
Deleting file C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Classic Shell\Classic Shell Help.lnk
Deleting file C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Classic Shell\Classic Shell Readme.lnk
Deleting file C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Classic Shell\Classic Shell Update.lnk
Deleting file C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Classic Shell\Classic Start Menu Settings.lnk
Deleting directory C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Classic Shell
Deleting file C:\WINDOWS\System32\StartMenuHelper64.dll
Delay deleting file C:\WINDOWS\System32\StartMenuHelper64.dll
Deleting file C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\StartMenuHelper32.dll
-----

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:50 pm 
Site Admin

@Norton - the DMP files are not crash dumps. They are just dumps from the current state of the process, probably captured from Task Manager.