It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:11 am 

So far I have enjoyed the Classic Shelle start menu replacement since Windows 8 / Server 2012 and would be sad to let it go: It's deployable (MSI), customizable, likable, usable and a lot more!

But the recent Windows 10 (1703) issues it seems like we have to make a new decision. Having explorer.exe freezing on a regular basis makes the application less usable and unfriendly for the average user.

Ivo seems to be busy with other projects and since it is a "one-man-project" we seem to be stuck. So far it has been a fantastic product and we owe Ivo a huge THANK YOU!

Things changes and unfortunately Ivo and MS changed at the same time - Ivo working with other projects and MS "breaking" Windows 10 :-(

Ivo> If you read this, could you please give us some kind of info if/when you might have some time to look into the issue?
Perhaps you could consider open-source it again and let other developers look at the problem?

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:36 am 

Ever since Windows 10 made the OS less customizable and a pain to use, Ivo has lost interest in actively developing it due to other important projects and I have lost interest in testing it on Windows 10 so Classic Shell is in maintenance mode. New features and new releases will be very slow or unlikely. Issues with Windows 10 might be because of no testing performed by me on that OS.

The community is of course free to carry it forward and there are other decent Start menu solutions too. :mrgreen:

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:35 am 

So it is not guaranteed the next few years that ClassicShell still works with the following W10 updates/upgrades?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:07 am 

Nothing is ever guaranteed. (even if someone says it is)
and less active development might still include major bugfixes; if they apply to all users of windows 10 (however if you have an odd issue that isn't shared you may be out of luck)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:24 pm 

Interesting

What sort of problems are people having? I've been running on win 10 pro since I upgraded that machine (the rest are 7 & 8.1). Haven't hit a problem yet as far as I know. Lately I've had an occasional UNC connection problem with that machine, but I'm doubting CS has anything to do with that.

I too would be sad to see Classic Shell go. My 8.1 laptop would be mostly unusable without it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:36 am 

well, it really depends(and each version of windows brings its own unique bugs); a few people are reporting explorer restarting repeatedly, others have experienced the menu not opening, or hangups.
Personally I haven't hit a problem either with 1709 and classic shell (i have hit a few other problems, like my computer freezing when i try to minimize a DX11 game in fullscreen(window))
Even if you have the same version of windows as someone, drivers alone are often enough to cause an issue on one pc, and not another. but then you factor in all the other UI tweaking software, people are bound to run into issues)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:25 am 

I've recently updated to Fall Creators Update so my system id 1709 now and advice users no modify explorer.exe because of some issues. But de start menu works fine.
Sincerely hope this project go on.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:48 pm 

I am having Zero issues with classic shell even with the FCU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:57 am 

Gaurav wrote:
Ever since Windows 10 made the OS less customizable and a pain to use, Ivo has lost interest in actively developing it due to other important projects and I have lost interest in testing it on Windows 10 so Classic Shell is in maintenance mode. New features and new releases will be very slow or unlikely. Issues with Windows 10 might be because of no testing performed by me on that OS.

The community is of course free to carry it forward and there are other decent Start menu solutions too. :mrgreen:

Thx for the update.
Quite a shame - it is/was a fantastic product.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:21 pm 

You're not gonna end Classic Shell i hope?
I've had no issues at all with windows 10 builds.
Just been some minor hickups, but been easy to fix.

I understand this is alot of work developing the software and maintain it.
Maybe you should start taking Money for the software instead of ending it.
Better that, than ending it.
Classic Shell is the only menu that is good and Worth the Money then.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:16 am 

Interesting for me, But currently i have not faced any problem or issues.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:12 pm 

So far it's worked fine for me on Win10 CU. In fact, Classic Shell has helped me deal with a bug of the Task Bar being transparent on secondary screens, I just set it to use CS transparent and it was fine :)

I'd happily donate $20 or more for continued development of CS if issues with compatibility become a problem. For now though, CS is mostly feature-complete for me, so apart from possibly compatibility fixes there's no need for more features in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:28 am 

why not develop strictly for windows 10 ltsb?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:43 am 

I hope someone continues with the Start menu feature of Classic Shell. I think for most people download it for. I don't need the Internet Explorer, or Windows Explorer feature.
I actually like many aspects of Windows 10, but the start menu just makes me want to bang my head on the wall.
I have a PC, NOT a smartphone, or tablet. I don't to see shiny things to make me happy.