It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:43 pm 

Ivo wrote:
Have you had versions older than 4.0 before you used 4.0.2?
My current theory is that the problem happens if you use an old version like 3.6.8, then you upgrade to 4.0.2, don't touch any settings, then upgrade to 4.0.4.

My very first version was 3.4.1 with every update since installed in succession.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:06 pm 

No matter what I do, I can't seem to make the Start menu look like it did before. REALLY wishing I hadn't updated to 4.04 since 4.02 and all versions prior were problem free for me.

I wonder if I uninstall 4.04 and then do a system restore, re-install 4.02, if everything will be back like it was. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:16 pm 
Site Admin

I was able to reproduce the problem when going from 3.6.8 directly to 4.0.4. At the moment I don't know if this is the only scenario where it fails.

You can try the following:
1) Uninstall version 4.0.4 and log off
2) Delete (or rename) the registry key HKCU\Software\IvoSoft\ClassicStartMenu\Settings
3) Install version 4.0.2. Hopefully everything will work as before
4) Open the settings dialog, and save the settings to XML file
5) Change some minor setting and press OK
6) Upgrade to 4.0.4
7) If the settings reset again, import the XML file

Let me know how it goes. It is important to collect as much data as possible on this problem so I can fix it in the next version.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:46 pm 

Ivo wrote:
I was able to reproduce the problem when going from 3.6.8 directly to 4.0.4. At the moment I don't know if this is the only scenario where it fails.

You can try the following:
1) Uninstall version 4.0.4 and log off
2) Delete (or rename) the registry key HKCU\Software\IvoSoft\ClassicStartMenu\Settings
3) Install version 4.0.2. Hopefully everything will work as before
4) Open the settings dialog, and save the settings to XML file
5) Change some minor setting and press OK
6) Upgrade to 4.0.4
7) If the settings reset again, import the XML file

Let me know how it goes. It is important to collect as much data as possible on this problem so I can fix it in the next version.

This worked!! Thanks for the help!

After I upgraded to 4.04 following your steps, all is fine- I didn't have to import the XML file.

I wonder if you should split our discussion off into it's own separate thread so others that may have this problem can locate the solution.

Again, thanks for helping getting my PC back to normal!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:04 am 

@srvctec: Seems you have the same issue like me. See above how i managed to get my settings with regedit back

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:44 pm 

GauravK wrote:
@RNFolsom, you don't need to know the technical jargon to use Classic Shell. You can safely upgrade from any version to use to version 4.0.4. All your settings will be preserved.

If your Recent Documents folder is empty, the Windows setting for it might be turned off. Right click an empty area of the Taskbar -> go to the Start Menu tab and check "Store and display recently opened items in Jump Lists.".
GauravK:

Please excuse my tardy reply. I have been swamped by other projects.

Thanks for the information that I can install Classic Shell 4.0.4 without first uninstalling 4.0.2.

Thanks also for the Jump Lists fix for my Recent Documents Folder. I had deliberately disabled Jump Lists, because I had never heard of them before getting a new 64-bit Win7sp1 laptop, and I have a habit of not installing stuff for which I don't see a need. I didn't realize that the Recent Documents Folder needed Jump Lists --- after all, it didn't need that in WindowsXP!

Now a question: At the beginning of this thread, in your first post after IVO's opening post, you wrote:
"Full Group Policy support for Classic Shell's settings. Group Policy Administrative Templates (ADMX files) for tweaking all Classic Shell settings are in C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\PolicyDefinitions.zip."
For a 32-bit computer, that statement makes unambiguous sense.

As you know, a 64-bit computer has a C:\Program Files folder for 64-bit software, and a C:\Program Files (x86) folder for 32-bit software, and a 32-bit computer always has only a C:\Program Files folder.

So I am guessing that PolicyDefinitions.zip always goes into a C:\Program Files folder, because Classic Shell always installs as 64-bit software on a 64-bit computer, and as 32-bit software on a 32-bit computer.

Is my guess correct?

R.N. (Roger) Folsom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:52 pm 

Yes Classic Shell will install to C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\ unless you change it.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:03 pm 

GauravK wrote:
Yes Classic Shell will install to C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\ unless you change it.

Thanks.

R.N. (Roger) Folsom