This release, version 4.0.4, has numerous fixes and some new features. Here's the full change log:
● Full Group Policy support for Classic Shell's settings. Group Policy Administrative Templates (ADMX files) for tweaking all Classic Shell settings are in C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\PolicyDefinitions.zip
. You must extract the ADML and ADMX files to C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions folder. If you have Active Directory domain, extract the files to %logonserver%\sysvol\%userdnsdomain%\policies\PolicyDefinitions\ or whatever path your Group Policy Central Store has. Hidden (registry-only) settings not exposed in the Settings UI are also supported in Group Policy.
● All EXEs and DLLs now have a digital signature
● New setting for Classic Start Menu in the GUI to disable hybrid shutdown for the Start Menu's shutdown command on Windows 8 and later
● New hidden/registry settings for Start Menu (string values): FolderStartMenu
to override the path to the Start Menu folders and redirect them. The value data should contain the redirected path. Hidden settings can be added to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IvoSoft\ClassicStartMenu\Settings (for a single currently logged in user) or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\IvoSoft\ClassicStartMenu (all users). These hidden settings are also present as Group Policy settings called: Start Menu folder, Common Start Menu folder, Programs folder, and Common Programs folder. Restart the Start Menu for changes to take effect.
● New hidden registry settings, ProgramsWidth
(both DWORD values) to control the width of the Windows 7 style menu. The value data in pixels for both ProgramsWidth and JumplistWidth must be in decimal. These values can be added to HKCU\Software\IvoSoft\ClassicStartMenu\Settings (single currently logged in user) or HKLM\Software\IvoSoft\ClassicStartMenu (all users). These hidden settings are also present as Group Policy settings called: Programs pane width and Jumplist pane width. Restart the Start Menu for changes to take effect.
● New hidden setting for Start Menu "ShutdownW7
", where you can list what commands you want to see in the Shutdown menu for Windows 7 style. "ShutdownW7" is a string value which can be added to either HKCU\Software\IvoSoft\ClassicStartMenu\Settings (currently logged in user) or HKLM\Software\IvoSoft\ClassicStartMenu (all users). The value data must contain the commands that you want to allow. The available commands are: switch_user, windows_security, logoff, lock, disconnect, undock, restart, sleep, hibernate, shutdown. Separate the commands with a comma or semicolon. The order of commands is not important. This hidden setting is present as a Group Policy setting too called "Shutdown menu items". Restart the Start Menu for changes to take effect.
● New hidden setting "DisablePinExt
", which hides the "Pin to Start Menu (Classic Shell)" context menu item. Add a DWORD value of this name to either HKCU\Software\IvoSoft\ClassicStartMenu\Settings (per user) or HKLM\Software\IvoSoft\ClassicStartMenu (all users). A value data of 1 hides the "Pin to Start Menu (Classic Shell)" context menu item. This hidden setting is also present as a Group Policy setting called 'Disable the Pin shell extension'.
● If you set a hotkey without Ctrl for the Up button, then Ctrl+hotkey will open the parent folder in a new window
● Added cross-fade animation between jumplists
● The installer now preserves the selected components during upgrade so you don't have to de-select the components that are not installed every time you update Classic Shell
● Shell folders in the format of "shell:name" show up in search results
● Drag/drop improvements:
◦ You can drop files onto shortcuts in the main menu (like drop a text file onto Notepad)
◦ The text changes to "Pin to Start menu" when you are about to pin
◦ Metro apps show the app’s icon when dragged
◦ The Apps folder in the tree shows its icon while dragged
● Many improvements to the Classic Shell Update component
◦ New integrated download box with progress bar and Cancel button for downloading the new version and the language files
◦ The file that contains the update info is now signed. This will prevent spoofing of the update links
◦ The Download button now downloads the new installer and verifies the signature.
● Troubleshooting features:
◦ New hidden setting AutoStartDelay that delays the opening of the Start Menu (in milliseconds). This is mostly for troubleshooting.
◦ New hidden setting for Start Menu: LogStartup
that logs the startup process (only works in HKCU\IvoSoft\ClassicStartMenu\Settings). For troubleshooting.
◦ New Classic Shell Utility which will collect information about your system that can assist in troubleshooting problems. Download from http://www.classicshell.net/downloads/
Bug fixes and design changes:
● Fix for Aero Glass on Windows 8.1 to make the taskbar less opaque
● Fix for the empty submenus when network folders were added
● Fixed the blank icons for network links. They show correct icons – a network drive, a computer, a shared folder, or simply a folder
● Files with # in the path can be found by search
● The common folders are correctly removed from the All Programs tree if they are disabled by a Group Policy
● Autocompleting and executing from the search box are correctly disabled if Run is disabled by a Group Policy
● Adding a blank recent_programs item shows as a sub-menu instead of a blank separator
● Fixed a bug where the settings tabs were not immediately updated if XML file is imported that has a different style
● Fixed the Windows 7 context menu for the Start Button (the menu was showing but the items didn’t work)
● The cache is correctly discarded and rebuilt if the Windows language is changed
● Clicking 'Update and Shutdown' now does a full shutdown, not hybrid shutdown, whenever Windows updates are available so the updates get correctly installed
● Fixed a language bug if English is the first, but not the only available language
● Fixed the update notification that was popping in some cases even if auto-update is disabled
● Fixed the submenus not opening by hover bug after clicking on the search box
● Fixed the missing search icon for some skins when a right-to-left (RTL) language is used
● Fixed the incorrect placement of the vertical separator in the Full Glass skin when right-to-left (RTL) language is used
● Fixed the missing icons from the Copy dialog in Hebrew
● Fixed the broken variations for old skins
● Fixed the main menu icons showing from under the Programs tree control in some cases
● Fixed the bug where in some cases text with '&' can be cut off
● The Start screen item in the main menu opens the Start screen on the same monitor as the menu
● Apps from the Programs folder don’t show up in search results if Metro apps are excluded from search
● The WSM cascading menu settings are removed from the Basic tab but retained on the Windows Start Menu tab
● When searching for programs/settings, the results don’t show up until all items are parsed. This way the order of items won’t change while the search is in progress
● Added a time and count limit for computing the total file size in the status bar, so Explorer doesn’t freeze when viewing large folders like Indexed Locations
● Inline buttons can be used in the second column of the Classic style ("Insert sub-items as buttons" option) even if icons in the second column are disabled in the Skin's options
● Fixed a bug where if you drop a file in the tree control, the new item is added to the end instead of at the location of the mouse
● Fixed the common folder files showing in searches. Also files from the Start Menu folders don’t redundantly show up in the Files category (unless searching for programs is disabled)
● The first jumplist item is not incorrectly selected when a jumplist is open with the mouse
● Fix for the custom icon for a folder not being shown until the cache is deleted. Now the icon is updated instantly.
● Fix for Frequent Programs list items showing in all caps when the Start Menu is on the network
● Fix for the animation of the cascading All Programs menu in the Windows Start Menu when Windows 7 style was selected in Classic Start Menu
● The Start Menu hides unrecognizable items in the Control Panel that start with some GUID. These are broken/invalid entries left behind by apps
● When there are too many items in the jumplists in Windows 7 style, they don’t spill over the Shutdown button anymore
● Changed the highlight color for some skins from orange to peach
● When All Programs menu is cascading in Windows 7 style, it uses a normal sub-menu arrow
● Starting with this release, ClassicStartMenu.exe runs from the registry even on Windows 8 and later
◦ It detects when you upgrade from 8 to 8.1 and offers to repair the installation. Self-repair will also work on Windows 10 build upgrades.
◦ It also serves as a backup in case the normal startup failed for some reason
● Many other compatibility and reliability fixesThere is also an elaborate feature comparison available now, of Start Menus in case you are undecided whether to go with Classic Shell: http://classicshell.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2399&p=11787