It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:35 am 

i would like to create some start buttons from scratch.
and i have read, and understand the basic introductions and tutorials so far, but i seem to be puzzled by trying to find how to set height of the icon as testers i have done to get aquainted with it, seem to come out as horizontal rectangles rather than the squares i intended.
i understand there is a setting for this, but it is lost on me what it could be.

for first timers like myself, when (i haven't reached the animation stage as yet as i first wanted to get the initial icons good and tidy first) i do set a custom start icon that is meant to be square, and it instead is visible as the top or bottom half of the image, it will switch to bottom or top (opposite of what it is when at rest) when hovered over or clicked, so i guess this can be exploited by those with creative minds if they are too lazy or unable to set up a series of images as an animation?

it would just be good for now the get rid of that rectangle, and instead have it fully nicely square.
many thanks, and sorry if this quation has already been asked, please link me to it if so?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:51 am 

http://www.classicshell.net/tutorials/b ... orial.html

The button must not be square. A custom start button requires an image that contains 3 distinct parts - one for the normal state of the button, one for the hot state (when the mouse is over the button), and one for the pressed state. The 3 parts must be the same size.

By default the width of the start button equals the width of the image. The height of the button is the height of the image divided by 3. You can scale the image by overriding the width of the button from the Classic Shell settings. The height will be adjusted to preserve the aspect ratio.

The image must be saved in either PNG or BMP format (including 32-bit BMP files). For best results use an image editor that supports transparency, like Photoshop, Gimp or Paint .NET.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.