It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bevelled Start Button
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:35 pm 

Hello,

I decided to create a new bevelled start menu button. This really is kinda fun, lolz. Either way, here it is.

Attachments:
File comment: Just right click the image and save it to whichever folder you use for your start menu images.
Start Black Bevelled.png
Start Black Bevelled.png [ 11.32 KiB | Viewed 19345 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:18 am 

Nice! Can you make one with the letters slightly closer, not changing their position when clicked but only the pressed effect around the button, please? :)

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:01 pm 

I can give it a go. I'm still new to this though, so it might take a bit for me to get it right, lolz. I'm using GIMP 2, so if I get it wrong I'll just try again. :P

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:09 am 

Okay, I did my best, but I couldn't get it entirely perfect. Either way, here's what I managed to get made. I hope you like it. :lol:

Attachments:
File comment: Just right click the image and save it into whichever folder you use for your start buttons.
Start Black Bevelled 2.png
Start Black Bevelled 2.png [ 32.44 KiB | Viewed 19283 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:36 am 

Okay, I gave it another go and came up with this one. Looks a bit better imo. :lol: I hope you like it. :P

Attachments:
File comment: Just right click the image and save it to whichever folder you use for your start menu buttons.
Start Black Bevelled 3.png
Start Black Bevelled 3.png [ 8.35 KiB | Viewed 19282 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:41 pm 

Soz if I didn't get it right, I couldn't figure out how to edit an image that had already been finished. I had to try to make them all over again and apparently I don't know the hexagonal (I think that's the term anyways, lolz) code for the colors I used in the first one. As for the pressed image, it is actually pre-applied by the area of GIMP 2 that I used to make the image with, the only think I know how to customize on that part is the size of the pressed effect (I believe it's called a bevell). I do hope you like what I have managed to get made though so far. I'm still very new to making button images and so on, lolz.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:35 am 

@ editing a finished image: you right click the image file, and select open with gimp :P

@ getting the color code: Click one of the 2 colors from the toolbox, and look for the eye dropper icon (next to HTML notation text field)
then click on the part of the image you want the color for

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:15 am 

I was needing to edit the size of the bevel so as to save it as a second version with a bigger bevel. But yah, your info does help me figure out something i hadn't figured out yet, lolz. Thanks. :) Also sadly, I lost all of the .xcf files for the start buttons i created recently when my comp crashed and had to be restored to factory defaults. So I don't have the original edits anymore... :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:56 pm 

Im glad i could help :P
I usually toss my .xcf files to (if i even bother to save in that format)
but mostly because I hardly ever do anything that takes longer than an hour to make :P