It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:01 pm 

Why when you login to windows after the windows 8.1 update and the classic shell update of 4.0.2, that gives you the option to select "Replace Start Button" the Classic Shell Start Button does not start, or does not show up, you have to manually start classic shell in order to get the button back.

When is That going to be fixed?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:06 pm 
Site Admin

Upgrading in place from Windows 8 to 8.1 is not supported. The upgrade process breaks the start menu installation and there is nothing I can do to affect it.
You will need to run the Classic Shell installer again and choose the Repair option.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:56 am 

Yes, during the upgrade process, Windows Setup breaks functionality required for Classic Shell to work correctly. Repair installation fixes it.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:00 am 

Thank you, it fixed the problem....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:06 am 

Dear Site Admin,

Thank you for explaining what will happen if i upgrade to windows 8.1 as far as classic shell is concerned (namely I have to reinstall).

Now can you help me please- should i upgrade to windows 8.1 in general?

I use the desktop with classic shell, I have not seen the metro screen in about a year, i have zero interest in it or any of its apps or control panel equivalents. I am worried Windows 8.1 is going to suck me into a world of metro pop ups and other nightmares and diseases. I have considered unchecking the update and marking it do not show it again, but then i am a bit worried about being out of date. I would install windows 7 if i could, I run XP on all my other machines, but I can't so I am stuck with this godforsaken Steve Ballmer bozo version.

If you are the guy who wrote classic shell you are my my hero and just want to follow your advice- so I hope you will get a change to read this and respond. To install or not to install, that is the question...

Many Thanks William

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:44 am 

This is my unofficial opinion on Windows 8.1.

Windows 8.1 is mostly the same as Windows 8. Minor "improvements" and some steps back. The desktop remains unchanged from 8 to 8.1 except for removal of some features like Windows Experience Index and File Backup. The performance and presentation of Start screen search has worsened much, but if you use the Classic Shell Start Menu, it's immaterial. Stick with Windows 7 if possible as the driver model is mostly the same.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.