It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:43 am 

Scrollbar skinning can work again on Windows 10 with an Open-Shell nightly build 4.4.147
A member "bonzibudd" noticed that scrollbar skinning still works in search view, but not in the programs tree view.
With that information, a coder "ge0rdi" managed to fix the issue (changing from "m_hWnd" to "hWnd") so now a skinned scrollbar can work for Win10 as well as on Win7,8,8.1

So Ivo's included 7 style Metro, Metallic,& Midnight skins can work as designed. :)
Not all skins have skinned scrollbar bitmaps and text information.
There are some user modified skins that have them included like "Tenified(fixed)" or "Bad Dudes" port or "Flagship Revived" port,
"DARKMATTER-SUBSPACE Revived" port and "XenoMorph" port.

On a lot of skins where the programs tree area is white, a skinned scrollbar isn't really needed,
but if you are making a dark type start menu .skin7 that has a dark programs tree area, a darker scrollbar matches better.

To make your own scrollbar, borrow the bitmaps and scrollbar section text from Ivo's .skin7 or user modded .skin7
Modify the bitmaps to your taste and include in your modded .skin7 file with the correct matching resource numbers in Resource Hacker
Scrollbars can have color masks and scrollbars can even be semi-transparent to the desktop(have not tested lately).
A number of skins might only have scrollbar arrows for 100% percent display size.
If your computer is set for high dpi(144) bigger arrow and gripper bitmap sizes can be made to turn on with text like this:

[HIGH_DPI]
Scrollbar_arrows=42
Scrollbar_gripper=43

As for the Open-Shell nightly build 4.4.147
Be aware Windows 10 2004 has taken security more seriously.
They have "Reputation-based protection" that when turned on will delete any program it thinks could be a security risk.
It will even delete any installation files of your drive as well. I have mine turned off as I still use a few old programs that are not well known.

If you are using the new chromium-based Edge browser to download the version 4.4.147 .exe
it will get blocked from downloading as it is seen as a possible security risk.
I had to download it with Firefox. Even then when I tried to install, the Windows Smart screen filter stopped it from running.
I had to go through the hurdles to force it to install.
I checked the download with Microsoft Defender and Malwarebytes-no virus

At some point Open-Shell will release an official version, which in theory won't be blocked.

If you are not interested Classic Shell version 4.3.1 still works ok for most users.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:13 am 

Good to know. ge0rdi has done some neat fixes to Classic Shell on Windows 10's later releases.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:24 pm 

Hi Gaurav.

It would be great if ge0rdi and other coders could figure out how to incorporate the Win 10 XAML code to get the Acrylic visual effect,
(large blur radius, noise, transparency, and color boost). It looks like Win 11 is using it as well, along with an opaque bright version called Mica.

A skinner on here showed me Acrylic can be done with system hacks and Classic Shell menu a few years ago,
but most people, including me, don't want to mess around with the system anymore,
but we still like Classic/Open_Shell because its size can show more information in a smaller space.

Other.
By any chance do you know if there is any way in a .skin7 file to have the Windows 7 style user picture always show in the main menu view
without the hover link icons showing?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:29 am 

Nope that user picture behavior must have been coded by Ivo into the 7 style itself and outside of the changeable skin parameters. A skin is after all also a DLL with other code running.

For the Open Shell suggestions or questions, it's best to post them on GitHub (maybe you already did). :) Right now I am most concerned with what is broken in Windows 11. Fortunately, nothing much seems to be broken once you enable the Classic Taskbar on Windows 11 (except some Taskbar modifications which were broken in the last version of Classic Shell too).

Open Shell's most important fixes have been to Modern Settings search (which was broken starting with 1803) and UWP app jumplists.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.