It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NOVUM OS port [7 style]
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:08 pm 

NOVUM OS port [converted to 7 style] Use with CSM version 4.3.1

This is an old XP (start menu only) port from 2007.
Reminds me of beta Vista versions, but has all whiteish columns with shadow/vignette effect.
The creator Florian Egerer, goes by a number of other names, da-flow, code2, and continuum2.
He mentions on Deviant Art that he is working on a version 2 upgrade, but it never came.

Here is his WindowBlinds link for version 1.6:

https://www.wincustomize.com/explore/windowblinds/5788

That theme still works of course on XP.
Don't know if theme works on later operating systems with an updated WindowBlinds program?

I figured I'd port over the menu part to CSM, as I read somewhere he does allow porting.
The look is not exactly the same, as always more of an approximation due to CSM/Windows constraints.
There is no glass color or glass blur on this menu.

Issues:
Glass blur did not work that well in Win 10 for there is hardly any transparency on menu bitmap, transparency is mostly on top.
I left it as alpha transparency to be noticeable.

His menu design has a lot of wide-open spaces (padding).
To get columns skinny again like in XP when using the bold font, in "Main Menu" tab,
set both "Programs pane width" and "Jumplist pane width" around 32 to 38.

The original submenu with the blue vertical bar on the left side and the selector that turns invisible on the left side above it,
looked good until multiple columns showed the selector looked strange without the blue bar.
What I did was use a special bitmap from Ivo's very first green Metro version skin.
New programs button gets a hard cutoff on the left side though, and separator shows a large gap in the blue bar.

Florian says "For best use DEACTIVATE "Cleartype" and use "Standard" Font Smoothing".
It did not look good(fuzzy) using Arial font in Win10, so the menu now uses Tahoma font.

Added 150%/144 dpi main menu bitmaps.
I got lazy and did not make menu bitmaps for 125%/120 dpi display size. Still half works.

Thanks, Da-Flow

Note. If you want icons on the second column, rename NOVUM OS port.skin7 to NOVUM OS port.skin (without the "7" at the end).
Put renamed skin in the skins folder and select the skin in Classic 2 style. All selector buttons will look the same.
Most of the skin options will not work in classic 2 style.

Happy Summer/Winter :)

Attachments:
NOVUM OS port.zip [1.47 MiB]
Downloaded 3897 times
Novum OS .png
Novum OS .png [ 204.52 KiB | Viewed 68559 times ]