It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:43 am 

I love the start menu of the new Creator's update. It's clean without the app list and I've never needed shortcuts, but as we all know the search function sucks and it needs a replacement.

What I'm searching for is an exact or near exact copy of the default menu with an option for live app tiles if possible.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:54 am 

Microsoft does not allow Win32 app to embed or add Live Tiles. But you can pin as many app shortcuts as your screen can fit vertically in the Classic Start Menu. You can increase or decrease the size of icons too from the "Menu Look" tab by increasing the values of the settings "Small icon size" and "Large icon size". This will allow more items to fit (if you shrink them) or make them touch-friendly (if you enlarge them).

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:41 am 

Well yes, but you didn't answer me ... is there such a skin ? No live app tiles is fine with me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:47 am 
Site Admin

The closest is the Metro skin. You can tweak the glass color from the settings to make it match the Win 10 menu color.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:47 am 

There is no skin to give you an appearance similar to the Windows 10 menu. As Ivo said, the Metro skin is your best option.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:18 pm 

Deranox, you're in luck. Happens I've been working on an entirely separate menu application, titled Start9, and what you're after is on my to-do list.

EDIT: Half-baked preview image:

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:39 am 

Splitwirez wrote:
Deranox, you're in luck. Happens I've been working on an entirely separate menu application, titled Start9, and what you're after is on my to-do list.

EDIT: Half-baked preview image:

And where do I find this glorious thing ? Seeing as it's been nearly a month since then, is it finished ?