It is currently Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:25 am 

Thank you, guys! This site is very useful!

Post subject: Re: Thank you
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:48 pm 

I agree man, gonna ask best buy too how often they do classic shell installs, and whether they make a contribution. (probably wouldn't have a got a windows 8 laptop from them otherwise)

Keep up the good work.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:04 pm 

Oh I just posted this in a rogue "thanks" thread, but I'll put it here too.

Thanks from me, and thanks from my Dad who is almost as curmudgeonly as I am.

And a Merry Xmas.

Post subject: Re: Thank you
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:29 am 

I dunno about bestbuy specifically, but a while back Fry's was offering to install classic shell; at a quite ridiculous premium I might add (considering it takes a whole 30 seconds or less to download and install)
Also I don't know how likely a corporation like bestbuy is to donate to something like classic shell, even if it nets them more installs.
I have heard that bestbuy does offer to install 'anything' for $20.

Post subject: Happy New Year
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:39 pm 

@Ivo and Gaurav,

Happy New Year.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:10 am 

I can't live without Classic Start Menu!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:34 pm 

I am just too old to learn another system - You saved my life! Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:14 am 

Just sent PayPal contributions to buy Classic Shell a second time. Well-worth the price, especially for us old guys, with failing eyesight, who still like Windows 7. I'm one of them, and the Classic Shell team has been of great help to me.

I do hope it will remain open to updates oriented towards Windows 7.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:24 pm 

Thank you for making Windows 9 possible!

Windows 9? Where did I get that?! Easy, I made it myself.

1 part Windows 8 (about 3GB)
1 part Windows 8.1 (a couple of Gigs)
1 part Windows 8.1 "update" (a few more gigs)
1 part Classic Shell (couple of megs)

Stir together and bake (while downloading)

Let me ask you what is the result if not Windows 9? Windows 10 promises the best of both 7 & 8. Well, it's all there with the above ingredients, and classic shell is the icing on the cake. I have my desktop, I have my start menu, I have some familiar shell extensions, I have metro apps when I want them...

The only thing missing is running metro apps in a window, and snapping to four corners instead of two sides. I can live without that!

Anyone I show my machines to thinks I'm running 7. It can be 8 in a split second, with all its tile glory when I touch the screen.

So I'm gonna call it Windows 9.

Post subject: Kudos
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:39 pm 

"Find a need and fill it". You have definitely done that! M$'s descent into phone-world has made life difficult for business users (there's a reason why a couple of years ago Ballmer was voted one of the 5 worst CEOs on the planet). The ClassicShell has gone a long way toward making windows useable again. Many, many thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:06 pm 

Been using Classic Explorer for 1 year with Win7.
Thank you for correcting Microsoft!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:45 am 

WHAT? Only two pages of "thank-you"? Human race really stinks.
Or maybe having to subscribe to a forum only to say thank-you is too much to ask for.

Well, THANK YOU. A really polished, useful program that made me happy.
Been using it for more than one year now on a Win 8.1.
I dunno what I would have done, MS really botched this one (what the $%#!$ were they thinking?) and alternatives, well, suck.
I need to have my programs neatly sorted by topics, it is part of my everyday workflow (it takes a just a tiny more effort after every installation but it's really worth it, the efforts repays for itself every day)
I've been doing so since forever and I was really shocked that MS decided to take that away from me for no reason at all.

At that point, Classic Shell saved me.
It is really neat and tidy and polished and looks just right, and behaves just right, and it's customizable exactly as mush as I needed it to be, and that is all very important to me, so, GREAT JOB you have done.

Now that I think about it, it is not many applications that can claim to be used by me as often as this one.

TL;DR: THANK YOU!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:21 pm 

I want to say Thanks as well. I've donated a few times and will try to donate more when I can. I personally use it on all of my machines. I work for a school district in the IT department and its installed on all of our workstations (~500). Thanks for following group policy settings regarding the start menu and the ability to load settings via the command line, it makes my life so much easier. Your idea of a start menu is clean, to the point and you can customize it as you see fit, also the search function is the best as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks again,
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:34 pm 

First post and it is a THANK YOU!! I managed to get registered after changing my log in name. Well, my home state backwards works well. :)

I have been a user of XP Pro for many years. I still use it at work and at home. Only recently have I bought a lap top that had Windows 8.1 on it and have been experimenting with Windows 10 Pro preview. I have a laptop that my wife gave me (after I bought her a new laptop) and have put in an 80gb HD in it. Older Dell dual core processor with 2 gb of ram, but 32 bit processor. So I installed Windows 10 preview in 32 bit I burned from an ISO from Microsoft. Working well. The very FIRST thing I installed was Classic Shell 4.2 beta. It has been working wonderfully!! I am a die hard XP fan and user and hated the interface and the lack of getting around in the last few OS that have come out .... and then I discovered Classic Shell. I can make the computer useable. I like to add the My Computer icon and all the other familiar icons on the desktop and use the desktop and could care less if the "tiles" thing comes back up. I like the "run" command so I can use regedit. I like the run command to use shell:startup and put in my second most liked program, Clip Clear. Tiny program that lets you clear whats on the clipboard by merely clickit it in the taskbar with the mouse pointer. Frees up ram that way but with the Classic Shell and it's configuration, I could easily add the small executable to the starup folder and it appears in the taskbar every time I start Windows. Use Classic Shell in both the 8.1 ver as well as the 10 version.

Thanks again for allowing a XP user to have some familiar ground to navigate in.
Vern

Vern

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:59 pm 

Unfortunately, I don't have a long paragraph to post here, but I'd like to say thank you regardless.

My parents bought me a computer around 2 years ago, and it had Windows 8 installed on it. Initially Metro was fun, but it quickly became a nuisance, as the Taskbar doesn't provide enough space for the Applications I wanted on it, from games to modding tools, so I began freaking out about the lack of a proper Start Menu. Not long after, I found Classic Shell. Finally, my computer was usable, and I could get on with...alright, fine, modding videogames

But it doesn't end there - I later started skinning for Classic Shell, and that was...different. A pleasant experience, definitely. And so, I was on my way to discovering a peculiar fondness for beta versions of Windows Operating Systems. Basically, I never would have discovered the joy of Virtual Machines, Windows Longhorn, or what fun it is to create themes for Windows 8(.1, actually) and matching Start Menu Skins if it weren't for Classic Shell. Thank you.

I said I didn't have a paragpraph to post, and I wasn't wrong - seems I had 2 of them :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:13 am 

THANK
YOU

I simply could not cope with Windows 8 and beyond without Classic Shell. Even the once-promising Windows 10 Start Menu is starting to get up its own rear with complexity and counter-intuitiveness. Classic Shell allows me to keep the most fundamental, well-designed, and of course, pretty variant of the Start Menu to have ever existed: Windows 7 version.

Post subject: Re: Copy UI
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:03 am 

I was in a position to find a new laptop for my mother who is not computer savvy. Her previous laptop had Windows 7, and I knew she would be confused and frustrated like myself by Windows 8. I needed to make her new laptop look and function as much like Windows 7 as possible. With the help of Classic Shell she really likes her new laptop. Without your software that would not have been the case. Thank you very much.

Post subject: Brilliant!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:12 am 

Brilliant!
It's amazing how things that make small changes in the everyday world make a big change in someone's everyday life. Classic Menu is one such change. It shines!

GaryK

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:09 pm 

This app is fantastic, thank you for making it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:13 am 

Hi y'all, I just wanted to let Classic Shell know that it has saved my sanity through various Windows versions. Thanks to you, Classic Shell, I still live in XP paradise.
:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:13 am 

Thanks !

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:59 am 

Classic Shell enhanced 2 (soon to be 3)of my computer's experience. I was introduced to it with my mother's PC. She has Windows 8.1 :cry:. The Metro UI got the best of her. After we installed Classic Shell, she is happier.

Now, my Computer is a Windows 7 Ultimate one. :D With Classic Shell, I am more effective in work and, can customize my computer to my heart's desire. :DI am one of those kids who tinkers around with every little setting on my computer to make it more personalized, efficient, and, quicker. I tried Windows 7's one on a 2nd user profile thinking it would change my normal one! Suprisingly, it is quick and, I loved it so much, I installed it on my main account! 8-) :)

I am getting a new computer soon (My current one is outdated and, about to fail :cry: ) and, this will be the first program installed on my new Laptop! This new computer will duel boot Windows 7 Ultimate and WIn 10 and, in both Operating Systems, it will make the ultimate user experience!

Overall, I highly recomend this program to anyone who wants customization and efficency of there Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10 PC!

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 7:38 pm 

What a great product! I just sent you $20 to say "Nice Job". :)

I use Windows 7, so I don't need Classic Shell for myself. But, I've been installing it for a lot of other people who are using Windows 8.x, and figured you deserved a "Thank You" for such a handy tool.

Carl

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 10:06 am 

Donated! Thank You!

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:54 pm 

I want to say thanks to the Author(s) and all people involved in the making of Classic Shell. Every great once in a while,
there is a program that comes along that restores functionality and does so in a way that does not
eat up Ram or CPU functions, while restoring that functionality that was taken away by the original programs authors (Microsoft).

I have installed Classic Shell on many, many Windows 8 Machines. For some folks it was either Classic Shell or take the Machine BACK
to the store for a Refund. The Day Microsoft decided to use Metro in such a way as to change the entire Windows Experience was the
day they crippled the Win 8 platform. Making it so folks really raged over moving to Win 8.

This program has helped more folks in my community then I can count. Microsoft should be paying Classic Shell for fixing things.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:49 pm 

Just a note to say many, many thanks for your awesome software. As a small-time tech guy for family / friends / office, this is literally the first software I install when setting up my user's computers. In fact, someone asked me today if I recommended an upgrade to Windows 10. My response: "Not until classicshell works out a few more bugs. There is no way I'm giving up the UI they've protected for me over the past few years!" So, kudos to all involved for a job well done.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:11 pm 
I like Classic Shell :D :mrgreen: :) :lol: :P ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:42 am 

Windows 8 would be very hard to use without Classic Shell :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:38 pm 

Classic start menu is one of the best program.
A real life saver and it works great.

Big thank you ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:28 pm 

Literally, as it already has been stated, Classic Shell is the reason I'm using Windows 8.1. No Classic Shell, no Windows 8.1, it's that simple to me. It's so fantastic and so customizable I can't really find words to express the happiness.

And of course, all my relatives would be using Windows 7 if it wasn't for this master piece of software, cause I'm the tech guy in the family.

I can't even name any single feature request, I'm 100% satisfied.

Wait, I'm not done... INDEED, Classic Shell is the reason I have a beautiful girlfriend, and it's also the reason I passed my last test of the bachelor. OK, no... or yes?

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:10 pm 

:D THANK YOU!!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:00 am 

Having just gone from windows 10 preview to the final version, I still hated it's pathetic attempt at a menu. So I thought let's see if classic menu a) works and b) improves it. I found 4.3.2 and it's wonderful :-) Thank you. Now I have an improved windows 10 that works properly, runs fast and takes away the metro cr*p unless I want it. Brilliant. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:41 am 

never hear classic shell before then upgrade my win7 to win10 I lost control :)) and found classic shell you save the world and microsoft ass..

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:16 am 

WOW!!!

Many thanks. I feel relief.
I didn't like the gadget style of Win 10

How to know if I got the latest upgrade installed?

M.Theriault
Montreal, Canada

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:03 pm 

the latest stable is 4.2.4 if you right click the start button and check settings, it should say that at in the titlebar of the settings window

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:51 am 

Thank you again! On a lark, I installed free trial of Stardock's Start 10 menu - interesting, but can't compare to Classic Start! Will be sending another donation to you via PayPal, the amount it would have cost to install Start 10.

Backup: Macrium Reflect Pro, EaseUS Todo Home, Bvckup2
Browser: Slimjet
Customization: Open Shell Start Menu, Rainmeter, X Widget

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:55 am 

Well, is the first program I install on almost ANY Windows 8.x/10. So thank you a lot for CS ! :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:39 am 

With this menu I got even faster at accessing things that I was with the original menu, and on Windows 8/Windows 10, I couldn't have lived without it. Plus, it's pretty. :mrgreen:

So: big big THANK YOU to the creators. :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:06 am 

Thank you for Classic Shell! :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:12 am 

I donated "Classic Shell" for the first time to any software.
Thanks a million for this powerful tool.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:57 am 

Can't thank you enough for making Classic Shell compatible with Windows 10.
I didn't want to switch operating systems, without being able to use Classic Shell.
YOU GUYS ARE MY HERO'S :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Post subject: Terrific program...
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:48 pm 

Was unable to make donation via Chrome. Completed transaction via Opera.

Great program. Great support.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:54 am 

Windows 8.x UI was a massive balls up by MS and this hasn't really been addressed in 10 other than a big mad fudge! The efforts by you guys to put back in place the usable interface that MS discarded so foolishly is hugely appreciated! Many thanks for now making the decision to update OS not seem like a shot in the foot!

2 feature requests:

1) Every time I press the "Classic Shell" button, could Steve Balmer receive a mild electric shock?
2) To allow me to use Win 10, could you add a "Stop Windows behaving like a Google Product" option to prevent my life being spooled back to MS servers?

These should help Windows get back on track!

Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:44 am 

kerplunk wrote:
Windows 8.x UI was a massive balls up by MS and this hasn't really been addressed in 10 other than a big mad fudge! The efforts by you guys to put back in place the usable interface that MS discarded so foolishly is hugely appreciated! Many thanks for now making the decision to update OS not seem like a shot in the foot!

2 feature requests:

1) Every time I press the "Classic Shell" button, could Steve Balmer receive a mild electric shock?
2) To allow me to use Win 10, could you add a "Stop Windows behaving like a Google Product" option to prevent my life being spooled back to MS servers?

These should help Windows get back on track!

Cheers!

W10 is just horrible. Stick to W8.1, that's what I'm gonna do. They are exactly the same OS, except the W8.1 + Classic Shell UI is nice, but W10 UI is horrendous. I'm gonna wait for W11, really.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:10 am 

I love you Mr Shell! :D

You single-handedly soothed the awful sick feeling I had in my stomach when I first saw the Metro interface. I first had intentions of choosing a custom start icon but as the depth of the customization was unfolded I have chosen to keep it as a badge of awesome!

I only just started trawling for a windows explorer replacement when lo and behold your dextrous coding fingers had weaved your magic there too. You are a god among men sir.

I do have 2 little suggestions ;) that I'll post in the relevant section. The future relevancy of PC is assured when people like you toil in anonymity, thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:13 am 

rambomhtri wrote:
W10 is just horrible. Stick to W8.1, that's what I'm gonna do. They are exactly the same OS, except the W8.1 + Classic Shell UI is nice, but W10 UI is horrendous. I'm gonna wait for W11, really.

I agree. Its almost like a too-late apology for their ham-handed attempt to muscle into the mobile market. I hate how its constantly connecting to the web with its little widgets. My cousin uses it and I just shake my head.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:12 pm 

I woke up this morning and overnight a Windows 10 update had disabled the Start button! Despite the best efforts of Microsoft's technical support, they admitted defeat and suggested I wait for a future update to hopefully fix things. :roll: So I searched for an alternative and found Classic Shell and within minutes my computer was back in operation again. :D

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:37 pm 

Yes, this is much better. I had classic start on my son's Win 8.1 computer, then we all switched to windows 10. He likes it, I hate it. I looked around, and classic start is still the best with the best features. I love it, and donated $25 US. I think its worth that. I have always paid for programs I like, and this is no exception. Keep up the great work!!!!! :ugeek:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:29 pm 

You saved our Windows 8 PC Classic Shell replaced the awful Metro interface with something that was brilliant

Now we have updated to Windows 10 Classic Shell has replaced the poor Microsoft offering - no more Metro tiles, we again have proper menus and search boxes

A million thanks, I've donated before and just made another donation, you deserve every cent, top work :)

As the old advert used to say You can be sure of (Classic) Shell :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf6U-EeBIAY

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:25 pm 

Big thanks to everyone here! Hope everyone is having a great day and ready for the weekend! YAY! THANK YOU AGAIN!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next